www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Hey!

I've been plating disc golf for about 3 years now, and I've finally gotten the hang of my driving and approach part of the game, but I've always felt uncertain about my putting part of the game. For example, my brother plays like once a month and he's a better putter than me, but I always beat him by 15-20 strokes because my drives are around 400-450' while his are at 250-300' max.

Anyway, that's not really my point; I'm posting here because I need advice on putters.

I've been through a lot of putters over my years, and I've never really found that one putter out there that's right for me. Drivers. mids, approaches are pretty much settled now, but not putters for actual putting.

I'll try to remember all the putters I've gone through and tested but did not really like and why:

Latitude 64 Zero Spike - great grip, nice and shallow, but too flippy. Sort of just comes out wrong out of my hand.

Aerobie Sharpshooter #3 - it's a weird disc, I know, but it's really grippy and very shallow. This has been my go-to-putter for a long time, but the reason why I've never really settled on it is because it's just too darn overstable. It's a beast, so nothing outside of 30' will go consitently at the basket.  Very nice for forehand approaches, though, so it stays in my bag anyway. I either have to throw it crazy hard for it to maintain straight or predict a fade at the end. Which I'm not too fond of, because it has the most insane low speed fade ever. It just plummets after it's lost it's speed.

MVP Proton Ion - a nice disc, really, but I've never really gotten the hang of it. The soft ones are nice and grippy, but the medium ones, which I used for a long time, are just too slick to get a confident feel for. It is a nice disc, but I've never really gotten the hang of this disc. It can go left, right or straight in.

MVP Proton Anode - I really like the MVP discs, but with this, as with the Ion, there's something that just doesn't feel right. I have this in the medium version which, with the Ion, is just too slick to the feel. But I really like the way it flies. I might go for a soft one of these.

Innova Dart - tried this in Star and R-Pro. It's just too deep for me, althoug the R-Pro has a really good grip. I still keep it my bag for longer approaches or short hole drives.

Innova Aviar - I've never really gotten what all the fuss is about. I've never liked this disc. It's too deep and too slick to get a comfortable feel. I know a lot of my mates use this, but this is a disc I'll never get the hang on, and after trying for too long, I've just given it up.

I've tried a few others as well. but nothing worth mention more by name, really. Innova Polecat, Vibram Sole, Vibram Ridge and innova Rhyno.

So I guess some of you might think there's something wrong with my form, and I'm open to that, but the most important thing for me when choosing a disc is how it feels in my hand. That applies for drivers and mids as well. I have an Echo Star Roadrunner which is my go-to-disc for the moment, mainly because it feels really good in my hand. That gives confidence and helps for a cleaner release. I can throw that thing about 400' simply for the fact that it feels right in my hand.

So if any of you have any suggestions on putters that are shallow, grippy and somewhat neutral in flight, then please share! I've been looking at the Discraft Banger GT, but I've spent a lot of money on discs that I don't use, so I'll ask here for advice before I buy every single disc the world has ever produces for that one true disc that feels right for me :)

Views: 654

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It seems like a really interesting disc, but I've kinda gotten a good feel for the Soft Banger GT, so I'm gonna see how that works out. Voodoo will probably be next on the shopping list if I find out the Banger GT isn't right either.

GATEWAY PUTTERS-nothing else comes close. figure out which mold feels best in your hand-buy one in super soft and one thats super-stupid soft. EVERYTHING ELSE IS A WASTE OF TIME. The only reason to use another manufacturers putter is to be like somebody else or because someone else said to do it or sponsorship.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968