www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Hi everyone.  Let me start this off by saying this:  I hate winter golf.  I know you Michigan guys are calling me all sorts of diminutive explicatives under your breath right now, but I've decided I don't care.  I've done all the things you can to do make a round tolerable in winter (besides hot cocoa in one of those beer-drinking helmets that have a straw to your mouth (this may be the key).  I don't like winter golf.

That said, I also don't like letting my putting atrophy over the long Wisconsin winter, so here my solution:

Host a (indoor) putting contest on DGRUS. If you don't have an indoor basket with 20 feet of space...feel free go outside (we might even give you a bonus putt...okay, no we won't).  All those in Florida and Cali are exempt from this contest.  Okay, you're not, but you have no excuse for your sub-par putting.  :-) 

Here are the simple rules. 

1...Throw 50 20' putts in one day and record your makes.  It doesn't have to be all at once, it can be broken up.  If you happen to make all 50, then keep going to see how long a streak you can get.

2...Once you start your set officially (and just say in your mind, 'okay, now I'm starting' don't start after you've made ten in a row while warming up) you cannot start over, no matter how dismal you're doing.  Stick to it.  It's what you'd have to do in a round...let's make it count.

3...Come to this thread and post how many you hit of 50 from the 20' range.

4...You can only do one set a day.  (you can practice all you like of course) So if you don't like your score, you cannot start over.  You're on your considerable honor as a disc golfer. 

5...We'll have daily winners, weekly winners, and the coveted "Best Session of the 09-10 Winter Season."  The contest will run until April 1, 2010 (last day to putt will be March 31).

That's it.  I don't have any prizes for this...just something to keep us motivated to practice and to create the pressure of competition in the off-season.

Oh lastly:  are there any vendors out there that would be willing to sponsor such a contest?  I know many of you frequent this forum.  Even a very small weekly prize (like a company mini) to the best score of the week would go a long way in creating a good name on the forum I'm sure. 

Again, please be honest about your scores, it does no one (including yourself) a favor if you cheat.  You all know the adage.

Let the games begin!

Views: 409

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow, we putted exactly the same...I did 39/50 too and 30/50 lefty. I guess with an hour left we're the winners for today. :-) Ya'll have an hour though.

I do have the luxury of no wind in my basement though...I guess the low ceiling can be a factor, but for this spin putter, it isn't. I bonked it on some lefty push putts though. I'm not sure those had a chance however.
Now the trick is to see if you can bank it intentionally off a wall to get around some objects and see how many you can make :)

I like the idea, maybe I will start tomorrow depending if my shoulder is up for it.
are you guys measuring from basket edge or center pole edge? gonna set up my basket in the basement later and try it out. im guessing i'll be 42/50, we'll see.
I measured from the pole. BTW... we'd all be hitting 80-90% if we had "Disc King" baskets. ;-) Actually I think my "Skill Shot" is pretty fair from 20 feet and in.
How ironic. 58 degrees that is about was warm as my basement is at.
2-16-2010...I hit 38/50 right handed. 39/50 left handed! I'm not sure if I should label this bad putting with my good hand or good putting with my bad hand. I seem to have found a nice tight spin putting motion with my left hand. I've always been somewhat ambidextrous and I have a theory that I am really left handed, but raised in a right handed world. I'm going to keep up the off-handed practice and see where it takes me.

For the record, I did the right handed putting first and so my official score today is 38/50.
Since my basket is in the corner, I've had a couple of misses that bounced in from behind. I don't count those. :-)

How'd you injure your shoulder?
center pole
2-16-10 I threw 100 putts from 20' today. During the first round I was 41/50 (or 82%) and my second round was 38/50 (or 76%). Altogether that makes me 79% for the day. Although my first round started off horribly, I threw in 25 in a row to rally back. Then, in between sets of 50 tried the push putt we were talking about yesterday. Not only do I suck at it so far, but I had trouble regaining my old form during my second round. Regardless, today's results were today's results, and although I won't be adopting it as of now, it was fun to try the push putt.
2/16/10; 34/50 righty
at 25 feet 46 of 50
maybe true :)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968