www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I am new to the sport, been playing since August, just got my first negative score 2 days ago. Anyhow, one thing i've worked on from day one is my putting, because I know my driving will take longer to develop. I often look at the pros "What's in my Bag" and i have yet to see any of them or anyone on the course use the standard DX Birdie Innova disc that i have been using. My putts are getting longer and longer, now majority of the time i'm knocking them in at 30ft. However, I do seem to struggle in strong winds. I've been eyeing the Aviar, and have felt it my hands in stores, but i'm a little apprehensive about switching discs since i'm still experiencing growth in putting with it. That's of course until a gust of wind comes along. What are your thoughts?

Views: 7

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If the Birdie is working, stick with it. The suggestion for a Rhyno was right on. You may also want to try the Pig. Both the Pig and Rhyno have the thumbtrack like the Birdie, but are more stable for windy conditions. Should be an easy transition. You can also "drive" with Pigs and Rhynos.
I started with a Thumbtrack Birdie but switched to Aviars for more glide. "Sugar" Shack is the only pro I recall that used a Birdie and may still do. I use Spiders also for windy days.
Ok, bought 2 Banger GT's tonight, played around in my garage with em,and can't wait to get to a course with em. The only thing i can say about them right now, is that i love the groove top feel in my hand, gives my thumb a nice resting place.
the bangers grip is amazing and never slips out of my hand the zone is sort of an approach disc ive been meaning to get a challenger for the wind
First off, you NEED more then just one putter. Not only do you need a straight putter, like you have, you also need a putter that will be good in higher winds plus if you have two putters that means you can throw 2 shots every putt which means more practice.

Depending on how strong the winds are depends on the disc you need, something slightly overstable, like a Wizard (which is a great putter), will be good for 10mph winds stronger then that a Zone is a good, really overstable, putter. It also depends on how far your putt is as well. The further you are from the basket the more the wind is going to mess with your disc.

btw, this info is mainly for head winds.

I've found that wind messes with my putts more then any part of my game
I like the two putter approach, I use SS Wizards (inside 30' & windy days) and Soft Magnets (outside 30' & annies). It took me a while to find putters that felt comfortable in my hand, and those are the two that work for me. Good luck in your search, hopefully the Bangers work out.
I am the same with my FLX Buzzz. I Throw it for really Windy conditions. It will give a lil and still hold a decent line. As for putters I have a Star Aviar P&A, and I just invested in a Soft Magnet. I had thrown Magnets and Loved how grippy they are. But the best advice has been stated, Use what feels right to you. Ask your friends that you throw with what they use and see if they will let you throw some with it. Get a feel for what works best for you, then go get it. Congrats on the negative score.
"PEACE LOVE AND BANGIN CHAINS"
Like Mark said, add the Aviar (or Magnet...) and let it slowly find its place.
I carry a huge arsenal of discs for any challenge that may arise ("only in a tournament...")
No need to abandon discs that are working for you. Just add more that will eventually work for you.
You can learn what any disc does and apply it to the course somewhere. Any disc.
Don't compare it to your other putter, just practice with it and learn what it does and appreciate that.
You should like a putter, they are very popular, extremely accurate, and will cut the wind better with the lower profile edge compared to the birdie. Oh, after that back up and try and XD (Stands for eXtra Distance Putter) and stick some long range putts!
BINGO Banger!!!!!!!! Had a great day today. I didn't make everything, but it was back to normal. I'm officially over the Aviar Disc Line. These Banger GT's feel great, give me confidence and every putt seems possible, back to not missing within 10 meters again and making the occasional 45+ footer. My friends practiced with em and they seemed to like em enough to give them a try too.
You will never go back.. I carry 3 at all times. 2 D and 1 ESP.. try it for a roller out a tight spot sometime.. Trust the Banger and you will find chains...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968