www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I started disc golf last year and have came a long way.. I practice and play on a regular basis. Quite a few guys have told me the best way to get better is to play tournaments.. So that said I went on the pdga web page and seen am and pro... What should I join as?? I been told to play open pro because I would learn alot more.. Oh and I'm from Michigan...

Thank you,

Ian

Views: 4

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I played for about a year before I decided to play in a tounament. After talking to my friends and a couple pro's. They al thought it was best to try AM Rec division. So I did this for my first year plaing in tournaments. It was great idea imo, because every thing was in fast motion for me. So doing rec kept me from having sensory overload and then I was able to concentrate on playing. As well as having fun.
So I would think at the very least. That you sign up as an AM. After all, if I'm not mistaken. If you post a higher rating than the div. you are in. They will bump you up to a div. that is more representitive of your rating. Having said all that. If you want to mash it up with the Pro's. Go for it!
I figure for the first year I won't pay to much attention as to where I end up placing.. I hope to gain alot of knowledge on form, grip and throwing techniques.. I just don't want to upset pros being in a divison that I have place being in.. And most of all just have alot of fun
Look what you shoot in a casual round at a course they played a tourney last year. Add 3 stokes per round. See where you would stack. I started in rec last year and plan to play one more rec then go to int.
Register as an am with the PDGA. You will still be able to play Pro in tournaments if you desire.

If you play pro and cash you can then decide to go pro and take the cash or you can decline the cash and take merch instead. Thus saving your am status and giving you a shot to play in am majors like Am nationals at the kensington toboggan course.
personally i'd go AM if i were you, yea joining Pro would be cool but dude everyone has opinions on how they throw it works different for every person and that's they main thing most pros will tell you, you can get tips from everyone that can change your game to the better or worse you just have to sift through it all to find out what works best for YOU not what works for a pro, again different bodies different strengths different people different opinions/tips only ONE you
I play in the pro div. and think that tournaments give you the mental game and see what you need to work on. Joing as a pro costs a lot more. Join as an am and you can still play pro if you want. Next year if you win money playing pro and your rateing is over 960(I think) than you have to pay the pro fee. As for learning more play with as many good and different people as you can and ask questions. A tourny in the pro field is not a place to ask.
play in tournaments and find a club in your area!! Join a league and play with pro's in a more relaxed setting. You will learn the most from playing leagues with experienced players I believe.
Register as an Amateur and play your way into the Pro ranks when your rating and skills warrant it.

There are always a few players who burst on the scene and dominate as an Amateur then immediately cash in Pro. Then there are the rest of us who painstakingly earn every tiny, incremental improvement.

If you have never competed in a tournament than there is a whole set of challenges beyond your current understanding. This is no insult to you in the slightest. It is just that there are world class talents out there who can do things you probably never imagined were possible.

Many years ago Sammy Ferrans showed up as an unknown 16 year old kid at the World Championships and won it all. His feat is unlikely to be repeated.
Thanks alot guys!! Thanks mark for all the great tips and information.. I have watched all your videos and has helped me quite a bit.. My putting and mid range have came along way... I registered with the pdga as an AM last night and plan on playing in a tournament this sunday.. Out at Kensington metro in the rec division..

Thanks again,

Ian
hi ian
you should see what a pro shoots on your course
most midrange courses -3 to -7 pro
+3 to -3 advanced
+3 and up probably am
this equasion is far from perfect but a good starting point

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968