www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Over the weekend my 11 year old daughter played in the Green Valley Am Challeng in Yucaipa California. It was an interesting weekend weather wise. It poured rain on us and blew 25-30 mph winds at her all morning. Then in the afternoon the weather got really bad. It got down into the high 30's and hailed on us for about 10 minutes.

At some point during the day, as her caddy, I ran out of dry towels. It was impossible to get a dry disc in her hand. I was shoving them inside my jacket against my sweater to try and get them dry, but both of us where soaked through, even with rain gear on.

Three plastics really seemed to do well, Lat64 Test, Lat64 Opto, and Innova R Pro. We kept going to these discs because they felt the grippiest even when the disc was dripping wet. The Lat Test Plastic felt like a wet suit it was so grippy.

What plastics do you like in foul weather? What towels work the best in the most extreme onditions? How do you stay dry when the wind is driving water through every seeem in your clothes? What other gear does the trick in bad weather?

Views: 231

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Disc wise,

In wet weather I prefer D line plastics

Opto seems to work really well in wet weather but not as well as D line plastics

Cold weather,

ESP FLX or any other really soft plastic works really nicely

clothes,

trash bag style ponchos!!!

towel,

Micro fiber or I use a car washing mitt.

Cassidy pretty much nailed it here.  Our league will pretty much play in any kind of weather or temperature (then again we are all crazy).  I personally go for my Pro D magnets in the wet stuff and stick to my Lat64 Gold plastic for the drives.  Star and Z plastic don't hold too well, although my Cryztal Z Stalker seems to holding up well for the past few rain outings.  I also like to go with heavier plastic in heavy winds/rains. 

R-pro.

Exactly !! Experiment and see what works best for you. For myself , I prefer Dx type of plastic.

yeah the baseline plastic from most disc makers do have a nice grippy feel to em.. too bad they degrade so fast.

They only degrade if you hit anything but grass . . .

car shammy,wipes and rings out well for the rain.stash a couple extra  in bag.D line as mentioned.

dx and pro-d (especially) will break in from throwing hard even it doesn't hit anything

any pro plastic is nice, some star/esp discs are grippier than others-same can be said for some of the champion/z...

every disc is different. I think the more ergonomic shapes (buzz, whippet, teebird, magic) help when it's wet

Thanks Mr Ed, there's my golden nugget right there. Using a shammy is a great idea. Even if I use it initially to get most of the water off the disc, it will hellp the terry towel or microfiber stay dryer longer. Plus it wrings out way better than the terry finish towels.

I always find something I can use in these conversations.

likewise.

I know others have posted it before, but if I know the weather will be severe, I'll stash at least one towel in a ziploc in my bag.  That way when the other towels have been soaked through I still have one in reserve.  Towels are important because I'm stubborn and don't like swapping out plastics for different weather conditions.

I don't have a shammy, but microfiber is pretty helpful because it rings out well.  

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968