www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Over the weekend my 11 year old daughter played in the Green Valley Am Challeng in Yucaipa California. It was an interesting weekend weather wise. It poured rain on us and blew 25-30 mph winds at her all morning. Then in the afternoon the weather got really bad. It got down into the high 30's and hailed on us for about 10 minutes.

At some point during the day, as her caddy, I ran out of dry towels. It was impossible to get a dry disc in her hand. I was shoving them inside my jacket against my sweater to try and get them dry, but both of us where soaked through, even with rain gear on.

Three plastics really seemed to do well, Lat64 Test, Lat64 Opto, and Innova R Pro. We kept going to these discs because they felt the grippiest even when the disc was dripping wet. The Lat Test Plastic felt like a wet suit it was so grippy.

What plastics do you like in foul weather? What towels work the best in the most extreme onditions? How do you stay dry when the wind is driving water through every seeem in your clothes? What other gear does the trick in bad weather?

Views: 234

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am the same way when it comes to my discs.  I don't like to change my plastic type because of rain.  I also just try to keep plenty of towels, but not in my bag all the time.  I like to keep plenty of extras in my vehicle where if I show up to the course and the weather looks sketchy I know I got them.  I myself have never carried one, but I have seen guys with golf umbrellas using them in between shots.  Umbrella seems practical in most ways, but I think personally it may be more of a hassle.  

I don't ever dry my disc until it stops raining, I know that sounds a little crazy but a slight grip change and it has no effect on my drive.

Rain pro line, dx, or grippy star. Softer the better on Star.

Cold I go with soft plastic, star most of the time.

I play in high winds all the time I would say champ is best as it won't glide as much as other plastics.

Swap innova line for any other company's same type of line.

i definently use one and it works great. Playing in northern ca on the coast we get lots of rain lots

I carry an umbrella for heavy rain, it is pretty helpful.  I prop it in the side strap of my dual pack when I set it down and it helps keep the rain from soaking through the seams of my bag and away from my towels in between disc drying.  But, I agree that it can be a hassle.  Bag + stool (to keep the bag off the wet ground) + umbrella = a lot of stuff to carry and coordinate on every hole.  

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968