www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

alright here is one that you dont see everyday, we were playing a casuall round and one of the players in our group threw a drive that went out into the road, while the rest of us were taking our drives a car popped over the hill and caught the edge of the disc laying out in the road and flipped it up and it rolled back in bounds !! as this was so unusuall and there was no rulling in the pdga rule book we could find that described something like this, so we went ahead and let him play it from were it rolled back in, and we didnt penalty stroke him for it.

so what would the officiall ruling be on this ? fyi.it had come to a complete stop before the car kicked it up and it rolled back in bounds.

and while we are getting a ruling on this, a few months ago i had a drive on a hole that when out to the rd, hit a passing car which nocked it back in bounds ! was that safe ?

Views: 4

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The ruleing takes place where the disc came to rest. The first time! O.B. As far as your earlier experience, your throw hit a moving car nad bounced in, that would be good.
As far as Daniels comment, it was in, hung in the chains and should have been removed before another throw (what if it causes a throw to get knocked out instead of going in. Come on! The Ace counts..
The frist one is out, the disc had come to rest. The second one is in, the disc hadn't come to rest.
There's a rule about the disc coming to rest. If the disc is moved after coming to rest, the original lie stands. The disc that came to rest out of bounds and was then kicked in bounds, would have to stay OB. I think there's also a ruling about a disc in water that floats for a while, eventually bumping up against land, safe.

We all play the 2-meter rule for trees. On many occasions the disc will fall out of the tree well after coming to rest. I've seen them hit out of trees or just fall out from wind. Technically, this would probably fall under the same at-rest rule, but I've never seen anyone take a stroke when it happens.

The disc that hits a car and rolls safe is safe - it never came to rest.
From what I can remember, it is the status of the disc when the player approaches the disc for his/her next shot. Meaning, the disc was OB but an outside force directed it back in bounds before the player reached his/her disc. I've seen it happen a bunch at one local course here. Brahan Springs hole #14, someone will get a kick and land in the street and a car runs over the disc and it rolls back in bounds. When I get kicked out into the street on this hole, I tend to walk slower than normal.
803.09 Out-of-Bounds
A. A disc shall be considered out-of-bounds only when it comes to rest and it is clearly and
completely surrounded by the out-of-bounds area. A disc thrown in water shall be deemed to be
at rest once it is floating or is moving only by the action of the water or the wind on the
water.
Pretty sure that you are incorrect. As soon as your shot comes to rest that is your lie. If any outside forces cause the disc to move you replace it as close as possible. Walking slowly is only going to delay the inevitable. :)

nitegolfer said:
From what I can remember, it is the status of the disc when the player approaches the disc for his/her next shot. Meaning, the disc was OB but an outside force directed it back in bounds before the player reached his/her disc. I've seen it happen a bunch at one local course here. Brahan Springs hole #14, someone will get a kick and land in the street and a car runs over the disc and it rolls back in bounds. When I get kicked out into the street on this hole, I tend to walk slower than normal.
I could be wrong. Not the first. The rule stated establishes a ruling for OB not outside forces acting on a disc.

I think this is a circumstance where a couple of rules get used together.

But, I do like the Jaguar solution along with the blindfold.
The proper part of the rulebnook that addresses this is 803.07 Interference. In part A, when a disc still in flight hits something that causes a deflection which is typically trees but includes spectators, cars and fences, the disc is played where it ends up. If the disc is still moving when it hits the moving car and comes back inbounds and stays there, then the disc is inbounds. However, in part B, once a disc is at rest, if it gets moved by some force like another player's disc hitting, it, wind or car, the disc is replaced where it was at rest. So the disc at rest in the street does not get the benefit of the car kicking it back inbounds and should be ruled OB.

Part B also indicates that a disc at rest supported by the basket (which includes the chains) is moved, it gets returned to its location. So if it's clear to the group that a shot for an ace has landed in the chains or for that matter any throw including putts that are at rest in the chains, another disc knocking it out does not eliminate holing out for the player whose disc was in the chains.

Regarding the shot in the trees above 2 meters (when that rule is in effect), all that matters is where the disc is located at the time the group gets to the shot to mark it. If it's fallen down to the ground for any reason, even if clearly struck by another thrown disc, the player does not get the 2-meter penalty. See 803.08C. Of course, it has happened where the disc dropped down and rolled into OB before the player got there and still ended up with a penalty.
I'm not even going to read everyone elses responses.................
IT WAS A CASUAL ROUND DUDE!!!! THERE IS NO RULING, ONLY WHAT YOU AND EVERYONE ELSE DECIDED.
Can't anyone just play a truly casual round these days? Does it always have to involve every rule and score? Why can't everyone just enjoy the sport and play a round just for the fun of it? I know this is a competitive sport but jeezzz.............
I vote play it as it lies' I think thats the way I've seen it handled before.
agreed, but, there needs to be an established set of rules to follow, " a casual set of rules " i suppose, unless you dont like to play against your friends and just want to go and throw around the course never keeping tru score it would be fine to play rule free, but In my opinion casual or not, its a lot more fun to know what your shooting and be able to compare to your own past rounds or the ones your playing with, and if you ever want to play seriouse, my saying is " Practice how you play and play like you practice,

Russell Gore said:
I'm not even going to read everyone elses responses.................
IT WAS A CASUAL ROUND DUDE!!!! THERE IS NO RULING, ONLY WHAT YOU AND EVERYONE ELSE DECIDED.
Can't anyone just play a truly casual round these days? Does it always have to involve every rule and score? Why can't everyone just enjoy the sport and play a round just for the fun of it? I know this is a competitive sport but jeezzz.............
a weird circumstance but valuable information. thanks for the post and comments all.... i can now officially start my day in bounds. :)

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968