www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I have been dealing with a shoulder that starts hurting after 18 holes and wont allow forhand throws due to stabbing pains across the top of the shoulder ,I can normally throw 72 holes with no soreness so this bum shoulder is really ticking me off ,I know im getting older(42) has anyone else run into this type of shoulder problem and any advice (beside not throwing..lol) on rehabing a shoulder

Views: 2

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Stabbing or shooting pain...I would go see a saw bones.

General soreness and/or tenderness and If not playing is not an option then I would consider ibuprofen before and after the round..Ice after the round...heating pad during your down time at night.
Could be a pinched nerve.
But it Sounds like a torn rotater cuff, STOP THROWING! with that arm at least. I would suggest to stop throwing right away, give it roughly 3 months to heal, and throw with the other hand if you have the urges to still play. This could be a serious injury and seeing a doctor is probablly the smart thing to do. But thats expensive and your pride might get in the way, so just learn to throw with your other arm, there are huge benefits to being able to throw with both arms. you will see more lines and have more options on every shot once your other arm heals.

If after 3 months you try it again and it still hurts it may be bone spurs and you WILL need surgery. Either way you want to address the issue now and not in 5 years when you cant move your arm at all.
I'm recovering from a strained supraspinatis which is the tendon on the top front of your shoulder. If you don't use your shoulder, it will gradually freeze up and you'll lose range of motion which happened to me because I waited over 6 months before seeking help. I went to a chiropractor who works with a physical therapist. The Chiro treatments hepled reduce the inflammation in the tendon so it would settle back in the groove. The PT gave me stretching exercises and cranked on my arm in a safe way to break up the frozen range of motion and regain it. I'm back to throwing full power backhand after first starting treatments in early November, although I haven't tried to strengthen the muscles for throwing forehand yet which was never a strength anyway. I seem to be able to throw overhand upside down shots and short recovery flicks again without pain. Since it's deep winter, I'm not getting out much yet and am not trying too much other than backhand throws for power to the extent I can get traction in the snow. Good luck but I recommend having someone work with you rather than do it on your own.
I not a real big fan of Chiro....unless my MD suggested it. You should see a Dr first then go from there.
Thank all of you for your great advice ,I will see a DR or chiropractor as soon as I can and ease up on throwing.Ive noticed that if i take a day off between playing, the soreness isnt there. I played 4 days in a row and did some overhand throws (which is the most painful to do) I'm leaning towards the tendon being the problem due to where the pain occurs.Thanks again for the advice.

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968