www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I have used it in the past just as a way to change the color of a disc. I like to buy white DX TeeBirds and dye them orange. I don't know why but it seems that the white ones fly just a bit better. Or maybe I'm just crazy.

Anyway, I had two different disc that I wanted to dye today. The first was a light blue Star TeeDevil that was baby blue and I wanted to dye it to red. That didn't go so well and it only changed color slightly. So I gave up on that and did the white DX TeeBird. Now I have heard that DX plastic won't dye but I have done this particular color change a few times without issue. Right now it is just soaking and will stay in the bucket with the dye for maybe six more hours. It works well enough.

I decided to buy some iDye Poly in scarlet color for the TeeDevil. $4.50 off of Ebay. Will see how that works.

What are other people's results with the Rit powder? I had read that some of the older stuff works better and you can find it on Ebay but that sort of is a waste since the new stuff can be bought for about $2.50 at Hobby Lobby and the vintage stuff costs the same as iDye Poly on Ebay.

Just looking for some thoughts. I'm not doing custom dyes or anything, just trying to change the color of a disc.

Views: 184

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wanted to post an update. Total fail on the dye job for both discs. The white disc (DX TeeBird) failed to take any color and came out barely off white. That is the first time this has happened. Maybe the Rit powder is now useless. Looks like both discs might have to be dyed red although I did want an orange TeeBird. Either that or I have to get some iDye Poly in orange.

I also read somewhere that the formula had not been changed for all of the colors. Don't know if that is true or not. I could always try Sunshine Orange instead of Tangerine. Just bummed that I spent $5 on the Rit and none of it worked.

Rit is useless unless you get the old stuff. They changed the formula to not dye polymers. IDye poly formula is the way to go. I have yet to use it but I have seen amazing results with it. I am still using some old school rit that I have had for a few years.

Yeah, so some of the iDye Poly in red is on the way. Also a packet of the vintage Rit. Will report back on the results. Funny thing is that the first couple of times I used the Rit powder from Hobby Lobby, it worked. Maybe they were just working through some old stock and I got lucky.

Poly Dye is the best that's what i dye all my discs with. Rit dye does not work anymore. Also champion and star type plastic are the best for dyeing. DX plastic does not work.

Just so you now, I have already dyed the DX TeeBirds before and it worked. This was probably the third time I was going to do it and this time it did not work. All of the powder dye just showed up as well so it looks like tomorrow I will dye me up some discs. Can't wait.

I'm going to experiment a bit this weekend with a few custom shaving cream dyes. One is a disc that I previously died (the TeeDevil). I am going to mix up some Wine color Rit with some Rit Black and then use that alongside straight Black. Trying to just get some texture and play a bit. All Rit is vintage pre 2005 stuff. I have  a few discs that I can play with. Just trying to step up my game a bit and experiment. I would also like to save some of the dye for later use (although I heard it might degrade after time, will see).

All of the plastic that I dyed recently came out decent. Even the DX came out looking pretty good with Sunshine Orange but I do expect it to fade at some time and right now it is the worst color in the world to find. I have walked right past it a few times already. Just blends right in with the Autumn colors.

I will be playing with some Latitude 64 plastic as well, a Bolt.

I finally got around to experimenting with the shaving cream dye yesterday. Results were mixed since I wasn't very good at "pulling the dye" with a toothpick. Maybe something else would work better. But it was interesting and now I have a better idea of how to do things. The vintage Rit worked great.

Maybe I can post up a picture or two.

Here is a photo of one of the discs that came out decent. The left side is where some liquid dye spilled onto the shaving cream. I could have cleaned it up but just left it. But not bad for a first try. I wish that I could make a better circle.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968