www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

So I have never thrown a roller shot before and I have some questions on technique and what not.

If anyone has some tips on form/disc selection/shot selection or any other tips you feel important to the roller shot I would love to hear them.

(I am right handed btw)

Views: 163

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am in no way great at throwing rollers. For me I like to a forced anhyzer with something that is already really understable. I also like to get them down early within 120 feet, its the only way I can control them. Most common rollers I see people throwing. Roadrunner, Sidewinder, and Valkyrie. I have seen people do it with overstable disc also, but those are most often your big arm players.

I do throw a lot of control forehand roller shots with buzzz's and destroyers. I try to get them down really early, within 60 feet, and give them enough room to turn back.

I have a beat in star beast that I use.. I do a normal x-step and pull the disc nearly straight over my head  with a nearly vertical release. I'm nowhere near where I'd like to be as far as distance and accuracy are concerned, but that's the form I use to get the best results for me.

I only throw forehand rollers. Usually I use a Lat 64 Havoc although I have been known to also throw a Star TeeBird or maybe a Banshee or even a Katana. The overstable discs tend to roll farther and straighter. It's just a matter of getting the disc on the right angle. I like to get it out there a ways before it starts to roll unless I have to get it down right away to get out of some trees or something. But a forehand roller is great for getting out of trouble. I generally want the disc to hit the ground with an angle around 1 o'clock.

Any ideas on which type of roller shot(forehand vs backhand) would be best suited for a hill that is slanted up towards my left hand side?

Well a roller shot will travel a certain way based on the angle it is on and how much momentum it has. If I get the right angle on the disc it will generally roll in a more or less straight line. If I don't put enough angle on it the disc will tend to roll to the side. With a forehand roller that means it will tend to go left.

The only way to find out what is best for a certain shot is to try it out and see if it works. After a couple of throws you will find out if you are doing it the right way.

I rarely throw them but I like my Beat Up DX Valkyrie. Its already verrrry understable so it makes it easier for my average arm to make the disc turn over enough. Practice is your best way of finding out what will work for you.

Ya I plan on practicing once the ground dries up enough here in Ohio. I have been looking at some youtube videos and think I got the gist of it. Thanks for the tips all

I throw them both forehand and backhand, though not terribly well.  But here are a few basics for the beginner:

Understable discs are easier to start rolling, particularly backhand.

Overstable discs will go further, presuming you get them going at all.

The disc needs to start rolling still tilted away from the top, not standing straight up.  A good roller will be leaning over, but rolling straight, for a while before it stands up.

Know that a roller that goes awry can get you into great trouble.  Especially if there are woods for it to roll into, because a roller can really penetrate thick woods.

And a roller can save your ass, especially if you are coming out of some trees and there is absolutely no other shot. That is where a forehand roller comes in very handy. I have parred a hole from out of the trees by using a carefully placed roller shot.

I use a moderately overstable disc when I want the roller shot to stay on a line for a long time (Havoc generally). If I want a nice arc with a roller I may go to something like a Star TeeBird. This of course refers to forehand roller shots.

I have throw rollers all my disc life, a great throw for underbrush, tunnels, low trees and even getting over buildings. Overhand, throw an almost vertical throw trying to hit the ground with the disc at a 1 to 2 o'clock ground position. The second method is a sidearm, and there I would actually sqat down on one knee at times and throw the disc again at the ground, 15 to 20 feet away at the 1 to 2 o'clock angle and watch that baby roll to certain happiness. Good Luck, and just practice with an older disc.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968