www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

What would you recommend for an 18 hole course in the mountains of North Carolina.

PASSTHEDISC.com

Views: 58

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

While Concrete is the best...lasts a very long time..The question of how accessible is this course to a Concrete truck or pull behind mixer.
Concrete
What our club is looking into is making tee pads from this material called MD10 +50 from Enviroseal. It was originally developed for the military to build roads quickly over in Iraq and is more durable than concrete, doesn't get slick when wet and is less expensive. You mix 50% top soil with 50% 1/2" minus crushed stone aggregate. Spray on the MD10 +50, compact it, and there you go! The tee pads blend into the environment a lot better than slabs of concrete and are the ideal solution for inaccessible areas.

For more info go here:
www.enviroseal.com/m-10.htm
what we're doing in Michigan at a course is building a lattice with 4x8 areas laying fiberglass resin underneath it. Then having a truck come in and pour the concrete. Putting a brushed finish on them. Letting the concrete cure for about 2-3 weeks. then transporting the tee pads individually to each hole. this saves time and money.
When you say compact it, would that involve a machine or something you can do by hand?
Dirt Glue!!! lmao!! it's a great idea there's no doubt of that....it might be a first for disc golf!!
They use soil stabilizers in road prep now and have for awhile...maybe none quite like this though.

What's nice about this, In theory, you can use the soil that's there plus some added aggregate.

There's some work involved. The natural soil should probably be screened of roots and debris....You have to get the aggregate there....buy it too, unless you have a connection. You should know the moisture content for proper mixing ratio of any added water. It would still need to be mixed by hand (you're not getting a Bomag up there!!!) and the product applied throughout the agitation. Yes it would need to be compacted...By hand would be a bitch...a rental rate on a small gas powered compactor...is fairly cheap. Application with a garden sprayer for good saturation....would be my guess.

How much is the product, Scott....and is it available to the general public? Did you contact them?
I say concrete, it is much better in all weather conditions. But at the same time I do agree how accesible is the course to being able to pour cement tees.

Although the MD10+50 sounds pretty sweet.
Or ..................Rubber Pads on top of Concrete Tee Pads !!!
For a 6' x 12' x 4" tee pad, projected cost is about $150.00 per tee pad. For 5' x 10' x 4" tee pad, it's about $65.00 per pad. It is available to the public and the price is $1,061.00 for a 55-gallon drum ($19.25 per gallon). I have been in contact with the president of Enviroseal, Tom Stevens (thomas@enviroseal.com). He can send you samples of what they have or even better yet, you can send him a sample of the soil and aggregate you will be using and they will make a sample from that so you can see and feel what the final producti will look like. Contact your local quarry and ask for an aggregate sample. You should be able to get it free.

One more thing about MD10 +50; it's environmentally friendly! Going "green" seems to be the hip thing to do these days and it would be a good selling point if you need to deal with the city council or parks department.
Sounds like a great alternative....better...I'm going to send the link to a Disc Golfer of ours who sits on the rec board for South Daytona...We just did concrete pads a few months ago...so it's too late for that...but the problem is with the park road and parking area....it's crushed shell/road base....and badly develops pot holes and is very dusty...this product would solve that without a big paving project...could save them some money.

I did read up on the studies and info on impacting critters/fish/environment...looks like it doesn't harm a thing.
That's what I'd like to see.
How about tennis court rubber surface.
That Enviroseal is pretty sweet.. AND definitely wasn't being used over in Kuwait/ Iraq when I was there in 02'. I would've love it it was though. I'm currently in the mix with getting a course developed here in Clayton, NC and will talk with the rest of the design group and town about the possibilities of using this instead of concrete.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

2014 ACE RACE PLAYER PACKS ?

Posted by James Banevicz on November 23, 2014 at 4:41pm

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968