www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

player marks their lie then places their disc directly in front of said marker, does this count as a stroke? I have been told as long as it does not go 6 feet it does not count however, does that mean if I clank a 5 footer into the basket it does not count provided it does not go six feet? Or if I throw into a bush and I am completely blocked in then I  throw my upshot and it lands in that bush  less then six away  that throw does not count because it went less then six feet?

Views: 225

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The rules can't cover absolutely every scenario you can dream up. Placing a disc on the ground anywhere doesn't count as a stroke.

A "throw" is defined as "propeling" a disc.  Dropping it, setting it down forward of your lie, etc., wouldn't constitute a throw, nor a practice throw.

A Practice Throw is any throw more than 2 meters OR any distance towards a target. So technically, dropping or flipping (not carefully placing) your disc in front of your marker could be called a practice throw but is unlikely to be called. It's not a good practice in general simply to avoid any controversy.

.....or your throw, if you happen to be standing behind your marker in a proper stance....or perhaps a stance violation, if you're sort-of standing behind your marker?......IF your dropping the disc constitutes a "throw", which you could defend against with the definition of a "throw"....although "drop-in" putts aren't necessarily propelled, either.....uh, where was I going with this?

so, I could call it a practice throw. I 99.9% of the time would never stoop to call that yet I have played with some monumental douche bags in my time and would love to keep track of the stupid things I can use to level the field.

Just depends whether they toss their disc in front or actually place it. If you call it on them, just politely show them how they can carefully place it in front of their mini and not violate the rule.

just assume that if you're not playing with your close circle of friends, or if you are playing an organised even, that EVERYTHING will be called. 

Nope.  Perhaps everything is subject to being called.  In most levels of competition, much goes uncalled.

That was hastily written and a little terse. 

In my experience, at least below the top pro levels, rules calling is pretty lax.  Footfaults and even falling putts are often ignored if not too severe, 30-second rule never called, and even consumption of disallowed substances permitted.  Many decry the culture of rules tolerance we play by---but that's the culture.

So, no, I wouldn't assume that "everything will be called".  But, of course, if you know and comply with the rules, you don't have to worry about that one ______ who decides to call the technicality.

It's a little like speed limit enforcement.  You can drive 5 MPH over the speed limit and be almost certain to never get ticketed.  Or drive the speed limit, and not worry about it.

Don't do it to be Safe !!!  Once you mark your lie , take that thrown disc and set it in you bag.

I never place beyond my lie, have seen numerous players do it. I have been called on a two minute rule after helping a dude look for two cigerates for his, been called on a lost disc rule by a guy who claimed he was a pdga official from over 400 feet away while said guy was drinking a beer. been called on non marked disc when my name was in the Armour on the orc design.

I hate to have to put up with this crap and just tell people they are wrong and flip through a rule book. I know it sounds bad but to give them guys a piece of their own medicine mellows me out.  I am playing bowling green tourny next week and want to have all ammo I can muster to,  am sure a tourny of this caliber there has to be some real charectors

I don't like to get anal about the rules, but I do expect them to be followed on my card AND all other cards. YOU might not care that someone on your card bends a bush back to throw, but it certainly grants an advantage and that effects more than just yourself. You have a moral obligation to play by AND enforce the rules on your card.

That said, many rules have warnings written into them so you can let someone politely know that they adopted an illegal stance or committed a falling putt. If someone does it after that they do so knowingly. I always let someone know before they throw that they are doing something illegal. That way it never gets even to the level of a warning. I think its good manners and courtesy.

I follow the rules to a t, but I'm not a jerk about it. If someone gets upset that I don't let them do something I explain why its not allowed and show them the rule if needs be. It's always diffused any tension.

A good rulebook exists to resolve disputes, not to create them.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

2014 ACE RACE PLAYER PACKS ?

Posted by James Banevicz on November 23, 2014 at 4:41pm

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968