803.06 Unplayable Lie
A player may declare his or her lie to be an unplayable lie. The player
is the sole judge as to whether the lie is unplayable. The unplayable
lie may be relocated to a new lie that is: (1) No closer to the hole,
on the line of play and within five meters of the unplayable lie; or
(2) The previous lie as evidenced by the marker disc or, if the marker
disc has been moved, from an approximate lie as agreed to by the
majority of the group or an official. The original throw plus one
penalty throw are counted in the player's score.

So I missed a 20 ft putt for birdie it went down a hill 100ft with many obstacles. If I had made a 4 or 5 it would have been a miracle. I ended up with a 7. At the time I did not think of calling it unplayable. Could I of taken this unplayable and have a four instead of 7?

Views: 6

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes good to know your rules, and carry a book because the other guys in your group won't believe you.

"The player is the sole judge" speaks volumes.
hey i could have used that during a tourney a couple times this year..i'll have to keep that one in mind next time :)
Yes,

I saw a video once where they explaining that exact situation.

Many players believe this is a bad rule because it can seem to be an unfair advantage.
As long as we all play by the same rules, what's not to like. After all sooner or later everyone will get one of those shots, so it isn't unfair at all.
I agree, but I have heard of complaints about this rule in certain situations.
Yes....but that exact situation is why this is a controversial rule...and I believe it has been discussed by the rules committee. I wouldn't be surprised if it is eventually changed.
A fundamental principle of golf is to play it where it lies until the hole is completed...there are enough obstacles/situations in the game that give the player, by virtue of rule, relief from impossible lies. ....water, stuck in a tree, dangerous wildlife and insects.
so if u take the 5 meters u also take a stroke with it right?
sounds like it to me

From the PDGA Website :

All PDGA officials will need to be recertified in 2011 and every three years thereafter. A new online rules official exam will be launched and tournament directors of sanctioned events will be given a complimentary exam. All pro players competing in a National Tour Elite Series event or Major will be required to take and pass the new rules official exam.

The Unplayable Lie rule has been renamed the Optional Rethrow rule. You will be able to call a rethrow with a 1-shot penalty after any shot you throw whether it lands in a penalty location (OB, missed mando, above 2m) or inbounds. Player's choice. Group has no say in the matter.

Thats how I understand it.

So if you throw a horrible shot off the tee pad and want to, you can "Tin Cup" it and re throw.. with a one stroke penalty each time of course.

Only advantage I see is that it may speed up play during tournaments. In casual play you should take the rough shot. If you always just rethrow, you'll never get good at getting out of trouble.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

2014 ACE RACE PLAYER PACKS ?

Posted by James Banevicz on November 23, 2014 at 4:41pm

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968