www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I can't be sure by reading the rules, kind of a gray area.

Say your putt comes to rest supported by the cage of the basket, on the outside, but is ALSO supported by a tree. Likely without that tree it would fall (but you can't move the basket or the tree to find out)* this part may be irrelevant. Is it in?

Hole #4 at Lakeshore has the basket placed an inch from a large, split fallen tree. I have done that, it was technically supported by the basket, but also by the tree and definitely would have fallen to the ground if not for the tree.

Views: 2

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Now you got it, go delete it!
Or leave it for your cheesy points...

sounds like poor basket placement to me. Who designed the course?
But the rule does not say has to be "Only* supported by.." etc. Really isn't that simple. Could be changed to clarify things.
HAHAHAHA WHO DESIGNED THE COURSE HAHAHAHAHA OK I was there and it definitely does not count. The rule states "within one of the entrapment sections". The disc was outside the basket, NOT wedged, leaning on the tree, and the rim of the disc caught the outer ring, like a finger holding it up, and the disc had nowhere to go, like normally falling on the ground, because the tree is there. Disc was not WITHIN the entrapment device.
I did of course. And it sounds like it, but play it. It's most people's favorite hole out of 24 holes there. The tree is huge, half of it split off sideways years ago, so it's sort of next to a log on the ground, which has fresh branches growing skyward like their own trees. It can be used as a backstop, but if you fail to get lucky, you then take the risk of going right behind the tree, which is wide enough that there is a 'zone' where your only shot at a putt, even from 10 feet away, is to nearly lay on your side and bounce a sidearm shot off the branch. It adds serious dimension to an otherwise wide open area (golf course).
I knew you designed it...just giving you "the business" even though we've never met.
Keep it up. :)

Ben and I argued long and hard over this pin position. I wanted it to be about 30 feet away, as a hanging basket supported from a very large limb (with OB not far behind).

Gotta admit that the current position is scenic and fun, though. And it does create a LOT of interesting putting options.
This was discussed a year or two ago on the PDGA forums. I don't see the picture anymore, but the disc was supported by the basket and a boulder. Most agreed by the current rules that it should be ruled holed out. (i.e the hole is completed).

http://www.pdga.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=26110
Calling Chuck Kennedy...
Thanks Disc-O. Sorry for the confusion Jay Dub... I wasn't arguing with your response.
We determined at Worlds at Highbridge in 2007 that a disc outside the basket wedged against it by a tree, as might occur on the infamous triple tree hole, would NOT be "in." The rationale was that unless the disc was fully supported by the basket, it could not be "in." In other words, if you took away the rock or tree, would the disc still be suspended? In most cases, ther answer would be "no." Perhaps if it was balancing on the rim and barely touching a trunk, the group might have to make a judgment call.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968