www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I can't be sure by reading the rules, kind of a gray area.

Say your putt comes to rest supported by the cage of the basket, on the outside, but is ALSO supported by a tree. Likely without that tree it would fall (but you can't move the basket or the tree to find out)* this part may be irrelevant. Is it in?

Hole #4 at Lakeshore has the basket placed an inch from a large, split fallen tree. I have done that, it was technically supported by the basket, but also by the tree and definitely would have fallen to the ground if not for the tree.

Views: 2

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would say the disc has to be solely supported by the entrapment device without assistance from anything else.
Move the basket, no basket should be that close to a tree.
I can't say that I know the correct ruling here, but if you were playing on my card I'd probably allow it. Unless it was somehow obvious that the tree was the main support for the disc (ie. leaning against the basket but the weight of the disc clearly supported by the tree) it should be considered supported by the basket. I'm interested to see what Chuck or some of the other guys have to say about this.
If you wait the tree will eventually grow enough to push the basket over and the disc may end up in the basket. Course rule should be "in".
That's exactly the problem. It does not say anything like 'solely' supported by the basket. There is no rule covering this as far as I can tell. I would have to call it in, as it is in per the rule as it's written.
But, doesn't the disc have to land inside the basket to count? Had the tree not been there you would have hit the basket and rickered away from it. Either way. hell of an odd ball shot and pic's should have been taken to brag about it lol.
No, the disc just has to be supported by the basket or chains to count.

B. Disc Entrapment Devices: In order to hole out, the thrower must release the disc and it must come to rest supported by the chains or within one of the entrapment sections. This includes a disc wedged into or hanging from the lower entrapment section but excludes a disc resting on top of, or hanging outside of, the upper entrapment section. The disc must also remain within the chains or entrapment sections until removed.
No it doesn't. You can wedge a disc into the side of the basket (or the bottom theoretically) and that is good. Also hanging from the basket on the outside is good. (see the official rule from the PDGA site below)
I'd say it's no good (but I also need some clarification as to the circumstance) actually and I key in on two of the words in the rule above for support: "wedged" and "hanging." It would have to fulfill the requirements of one of these two words. It wasn't hanging if it was touching a tree for support. It was wedged, but between a tree and the basket, not between two or more points on the basket itself. I would say this is a group call, but if it clearly wasn't wedged in the basket itself then it's no good. A good evidence that it's wedged in the basket would be if the disc is bent. It would be an impossible call to make though if the disc was clearly wedged in the basket (bend and all) and also touching the tree. In that instance I would say it's good because it's clearly wedged in the basket...and you're right, the rule says nothing about other natural influences also holding the disc above the playing surface. So arguments like, "Well, get a chainsaw and see if it's only supported by the basket" hold no creedence because the rule says nothing about being solely supported by the basket, BUT it does say that it has to be wedged in the basket or hanging from it. It CAN be wedged in the basket AND supported by a tree though in my opinion. Good post.
I do see your logic...the disc is somewhat being supported by the entrapment device...however somewhat isn't in the rules either.

The entrapment device was designed to work without assistance from other objects on the course...so if the object wasn't there would the disc be supported? Tough call...casually, I would go with the groups consensus...sanctioned, I would seek an official or the TD. and abide by whatever call they make.
The only thing that is clear is that this instance was not thought of during the writing of the rules, and if it happened it would have to be determined by an official, or the rule could be altered. There will be sanctioned events at this course next year.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

2014 ACE RACE PLAYER PACKS ?

Posted by James Banevicz on November 23, 2014 at 4:41pm

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968