www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Let's say you're hosting, or even just attending, a tournament (one day, "C-tier" style). What do you think would be better? Sanctioned, or Non-Sanctioned? Maybe Non-Sanctioned the first time around to build a name, and then come back WITH Sanctioning next time around?

Non-Sanctioned would eliminate the $10 on-member fee, and draw more non-members to turn out. And you could drink all you want (as I like to do) and do all your other wacky stuff.

But wouldn't a Sanctioned event draw more pro players, since the scores will go to points, and ratings on the PDGA side of things? And the non-members who don't show up (because of the $10 fee), wouldn't be bagging and take all the am payout.

I'm just tossing this around trying to get ideas for something I would like to do next year. Thinking of maybe trying to start a little tour of some sort, here in my region of the world. It probably won't happen due to lack of funds, but I have someone interested and asking me to get it all figured out on the technical side of things. And make him the pitch.

Tags: member, pdga, sanctioned, tour, tournament

Views: 5

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Go with your GUT instinct, that's how I live life.
Sanctioned,

As for this discussion between Chuck and Mark, I have to agree with Mark. The mentality of local players is usually a result of the local club moreso then the PDGA as a whole. Local club players are on the ground cleaning the grounds, pushing for more courses, installing courses, promoting the game, even promoting involvement in the PDGA..
If you want to promote pro disc golf, go sanctioned. Call the pro tour director and ask when the tour is coming thru your area. Oh, there's no set tour? So, its not really like golf PGA tour? Then start a tour in your region. Give the winner a paid trip to nationals or worlds. Chuck, why is there no sensible tour with short travel between stops? Is the NT only for those wealthy enough to hopscotch all over the country? In my opinion the pdga is now the adga more than the other.
Money. Until a national big money sponsor is found where the amount they are supplying to potential NT hosts is enough that they are willing to adjust their dates and format for their events to line up sensibly by geography, the PDGA will be limited by the dates and locations that NT bidders offer for running the events which may not be the best for travelers. We expect NT hosts to come up with over $5000 added cash for their event. The PDGA budget can only provide less than $2000 per event. So, the NT hosts get a lot of leeway.
every sanctioned event ive been to allow's drinking ,i'm not a drinker but my friends like to tip some back at the tourneys. as long as its a group consensus some one having a beer during the round should be ok.i understand the reason for the rule and like mark said it's ok to drink or smoke until the 2 minute warning
If it's sanctioned then it doesn't allow drinking. That's an automatic DQ. And if the TD knows and allows it, shame on him.
Non-sanctioned all the way. Especially if they're for a good charity. Thanks Rick for the Ice Bowls and the tradition. Thanks Ray for Discin For A Cure. Thanks Chris for the Texas 10 Charity events in years past. Thanks to anyone who hosts a charity event, I think we could all give more.
Sanctioned events have a bigger draw but that's not why I play anymore.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968