www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I had an idea that I wanted to run by my fellow golfers.  Maybe it's already been done.  If you have modifications or gripes with my idea let me know.  I'm looking for feedback. 

Fairway bunkers:  Set at strategic points on par 4 or 5 holes such that an errant drive may end up in one and far enough away from the pin that they do what they were intended to do. 

-if a player lands in a bunker, they must on that next shot throw from a standstill with no run-up. 

-ALTERNATIVE:  no restriction on stance, but the bunkers would be deeper so as to make a traditional backhand or forehand impossible so that your only out would be a roller of some type, an overhand shot, a spike hyzer or big sky anhyzer. 

What do you think?

Views: 3

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I like the bunker idea. We've used it on our course, but we just used a taped off area as the hazard. One coures I play uses a certain dense grass that's about a foot high, but since it's dense, it's easy to spot your disc. Depending on the "rule of the day". We either have to re-tee or we make a "drop area" that you have to throw from. I preffer the drop area, becaue it can be placed in different areas of that particular hole. That way you can make it tough or not so tough depending on your mood that day lol!

The DGCD course designers group has rejected any form of shot restriction in a bunker such as throwing opposite handed or stand still throws. Deep bunkers are valid options if you can get the site owner to build and manage them properly so they don't become wet sink holes. The buncr is the easiest way to achieve the sand trap effect. One option is to mark an area near the green where a player cannot play from it if they land in it but have to move back to its edge on the line of play (no penalty). It has the effect of a ball rolling away when a ball golf hole has a small slope on one side of the hole.

The second option is placing a marked or uncut grass area maybe 70 feet long and 40 feet wide about 300-350 or so from the tee on the side of the fairway (probably left) on a par 4 hole. This works to boost the challenge on holes with few trees. If the player lands in the buncr, they proceed to a drop zone which is marked maybe 20-30 feet behind a tree on line with the pin (no penalty). This forces the player to make a more challenging and probably longer approach to the pin. 

The third option is the USDGC style buncr where the player has to rethrow from their previous lie if they land in the marked area (no penalty). I'm not a big fan of this one in general but it's better than a throw and distance penalty sometimes forced on some holes by the TD when a player throw OB.

I have played tourneys where they have areas that if you land in you have to throw a UD (upsidedown) shot from,  and there was no stroke penalty as long as you threw ud. 

A patch of trees, dense enough to impede a shot but thin enough that a well-executed shot can get through, though not at full power, is about the closest we come to a golf bunker.
On any refurbished bgc to dgc have they done away with "sandbunkers".There's a few here in Fl,but have not had time to visit/play.The Ocala/Orlando surrounding area"s would be courses that have seen this added.

Off handed throws are just silly because hardly anyone practices that throw.  Stand still throwing I still feel is somewhat viable, but I liked some of the options you suggested better.  I do like my deep bunker idea but you bring up a good point about drainage.  I suppose a small wall section would serve the same purpose as the deep bunker.  I think you're right on board with what I was thinking about distance placement on the fairways.  Although I don't like that big arms could just blast over it.  I would perhaps consider a hole that had two sets of these bunkers.  One at 300-350 and one set at 450-500' so that there would be some reward for landing between the sets, but most players might be better served laying up in front of the bunkers.  It would reward power and accuracy.  Actually I'd REALLY love it if a creek intersected the fairway at those distances, but now I'm just daydreaming.  :-) 

I like the drop zone idea to a restricted area as well as  the "sloping greens" you suggested.  I think I'd rather have a tiered green though to create a real slope that would be more aesthetically pleasing.  I understand there are costs to such a feature though.

When I start construction on my dream-course some day I want your input on my ideas for holes.  It WILL happen, it's just a question of when.

I forgot to mention another type of trap that can effectively force a "stand & deliver" without requiring it. We were going to create a boulder field on the fairway still 500 feet from the pin with 1-2' diameter boulders spaced maybe 2'-3' apart in an area maybe 40'x40' (the owner had the boulders so cost wasn't a factor). If you landed in the boulder field, you would be able to take a stance but probably not be able to X-step or run-up. This effect could also be achieved using big logs criss-crossing like pickup sticks (secured and stabilized) but with 2'-3' gaps so players could still stand on the ground. Even just a bed of pea gravel (no boulders or logs) would make footing a little trickier. These all work similar to sand traps in golf where your shot is probably changed somewhat.
Sand traps take a lot of upkeep to stay nice. If you slack on it then it will just become a dirt pit with weeds.
An excellent point.
Another good suggestion.  BTW.. I played North Valley a couple of weeks ago in the slacker league (Where were YOU?) and I liked the course.  I need to play that one in the summer now some time.  Oh, and what is your vote for the best course that you've designed and your vote for best Twin Cities course?

Blue Level Design: Blueberry Hill and Steady Ed (w/Tom Monroe)

Gold Level Design: Highbridge Gold

Best Twin Cities: No winner. I have the most fun playing several: The Valley, Oakwood, Acorn, Red Oak & Lakewood Hills. If they complete the upgrade to 18 at Lakewood this summer, that might become my favorite although The Valley is only 5 minutes away...

Reverse the idea. Make easy holes harder and harder holes easier.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968