www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I am worried about the fallout from recent accidents @ Huntington Beach DGC (the 2nd oldest permanent pole course on earth).
Two people have been hit and fairly seriously injured in the last few months (see link).

To say socal is full of litigious people is a mighty understatement and these poor folks both got nailed in the head...so this is likely to get fuggly.  In addition, the city of HB is so strapped for cash they are considering closing 1/2 the beach firepits (REALLY?!) to save a few kilobucks. 

So...with the economic climate and the political/legal and financial ramifications of 2 possible lawsuits....I hope the HB course doesn't fall into the crosshairs of some cost cutting Citiot.

http://m.ocregister.com/ocregister/db_12840/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=ALtpXyzp&full=true#display

Views: 2

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow! That's bogus! Too many people think disc golf has the right of way and aren't cautious of other park patrons. That is especially true at Central Park where it is pay to play but has public walking paths through the park. I hope the locals take note and clean up their act for a bit too or it's definately gonna be pulled.
Sue the walkers for damage to your disc when they jogged into it.
Ha that's a good idea Ben. Unfortunately Southern California courses are in public parks and disc golf takes a back seat to everything else going on in the park.
I am glad that the Huntington Beach course is still in the ground. I had expected it to be removed years ago. It's prime real estate and sandwiched between competing interests for the land. It's barely got enough territory to be a good course - and it is. But it gets impinged upon a lot and there's very little park land of any kind around there. As disc golf course owners realize the full life-cycle costs of having a course, prices will go up. Enjoy free disc golf while you can.
When I was in LA a few years ago, I made it a point to get to this course specifically because of it's historic significance. They need to do whatever they can to keep it around.

With that being said. I think it's both people's responsibility to watch out and be courteous. There should be signs posted that say, "Caution - Flying Discs" and the walkways should be marked on the teepads. If they're marked for both the walkers and disc golfers and an accident still happens - then that's just it. An accident. Don't try and sue anybody, just man up and take it. People need to be more aware of their surroundings and quit trying to put the blame on somebody else.
Yeah. it's a good idea to put up signs. They (the city) put up such signs at our course, but they put them up in odd locations and failed to bend the bolts or do anything to prevent their theft. A week later the signs were gone. I used to work for the Parks department and we always jacked up the bolts after mounting the signs. Leave it to the city to F it up. Anyway, you are right. Enough with our McDonalds coffee spilling law suit society.
The gal was a 40 year old from 120 miles away. I doubt she ever had a clue that the course was there. And the kid...well...not too many 6 year olds can dodge a 75 mph projectile, even if they saw it. Don't get me wrong: I love the course and the sport, but 2 people getting seriously injured in one winter may be enough to sink the place.

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968