www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I was wondering how many of you do an X-step as you tee off and how many of you stand in place. I have noticed that if I take to long of an X step I loose accuracy but if I find a middle ground between to long and no run up I get better distance and accuracy. Thanks

Views: 13

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just find the steps that you feel comfortable with.
my run ups are long aand fast off the tee and short and slow during up shots
I do use speed to get momentum for my drive. That might give you distance at the expense of accuracy, so you may have to just practice in the proverbial field.
I use the x-step when I'm trying to put distance on a shot, but I agree with Jim. You have to find what is comfortable for you. When I am teaching a beginner how to throw backhand shots. I have them stand with their backs facing the target, take one step backwards with the foot opposite their throwing arm, plant with their other foot directly facing the target, and straight across that planted foot. I think this helps them understand the principal of the x-step.
I use the x step for both forehand and backhand drives. With less power behind my throw, I will use the same routine but smaller and slower. I use the x step for every throw unless I am trying to hit the putt it in. For a really long putt or layup, take a step and throw, before I step, my upper body is in the same loaded position you get from the x step.

I always try to create momentum with my body, and accelerate the disc to the piont of release. My run-up all depends on how much momentum I need and how soon I need that acceleration to begin. Using the X step on all shots, even when you don't need the extra power, will keep your body loose and balanced.
If you're taking longer steps that you're used to your accuracy and distance will be suffer as you're natural timing is off. If you practice longer steps more often then you'll find your timing and gain back your accuracy and distance. Chances are that you'll gain more distance with longer strides as you gain more forward momentum.

Depends on the hole and my footing as to whether or not that I stand still and throw. If I know that there is a real good chance of slipping, then I'll stand still and rip it. Otherwise, I'll have a short quick x-step to keep my body in rhythm for the shot.
He showed me this last summer, and I show it to everyone who seems confused about their run-up. We should probably do an instructional on it.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968