www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Since Dookville's topic has been posted I have been thinking of starting a Father/Son, Father/Daughter, Mother/Son, or Mother/Daughter league.  I was thinking Dubs where I would purchase ultra light buzzz's ( if discraft still produces them) to sell as entry.  Buying a disc would get you and your child into the league.  The Profits from buying the disc would be put towards a prize at the end of the league for the child of the winning team. It would be a 10 week league ( 8 weeks played with 2 weeks for possible rain out).  We would play on a short course such as Freedom Park in Canton, Bandamer Park in Ann Arbor, or Mary Beth Doyle Park in Ann Arbor.  Would anyone in the area be interested in joining a league like this?  I still have to contact Discraft and see if they still make the ultra light discs.  If not does any other company make ultra light discs ( 125 or so grams)?

My 4 year old would get a kick out of this.  He gets really upset when I go out and play with friends and is not able to join me.  This would allow him to meet new friends possibly his age, and he would be able to get out and play.

Let me know what you all think.

Views: 316

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Daredevil discs has been contacted.  They are working on the problem as I type this.

Kinda odd that Discraft makes 150 drivers but not their best selling midrange..  Mr Ellis, HELP!

http://gottagogottathrow.com/discgolf/buzzz-ultra-lite-worlds-p-176...

$4.75 Each...  Should plan on doing a 10-20 each buy.  I'd be in for 2

I have contacted a few companies. 

Dare Devil:

They do not have any 150 class or lighter disc golf discs at this time.  They do have a disc called the 140g which is like an ultamate disc but smaller and catered towards kids.

Innova:

Innova produces a couple discs in the lighter weights.  The Skeeter ( 135- 140g), Polecat ( roughly 105g), and the Sonic ( roughly 115g).  All 3 are in DX plastic.

Quest AT:

They produce a 4 pack specifically directed towards kids in elementary school that might be perfect for what we are looking for.  They are going to ship me out a sample pack today.

I do want to give props for great customer service from each of these companies.  Innova responded to an email in about 15 min.  Dare devil discs was very happy to answer any questions I had about any of their discs. And Quest AT was more than willing to send out a sample of their discs.

I know not too many people throw Quest discs in this area.  Once I receive the discs from Quest I was thinking about having a little picnic at a local park ( thinking Canton Area) where we could let our kids throw the discs to see what how they flew in their hands.  After this we would put up a vote on which I would purchase to sell as entry into the league.  Not only would this help pay for prizes at the end of the league but it would also give the kids their own discs to throw during the league.  I will post as soon as I receive the discs from Quest AT to set up a date for our kids to meet.

Thanks Gabe. I just contacted them and they said they have more than enough to suit our needs.
freedom park might be a good place for such a event.  Minus the 'skeeters is a small 9 hole with pinic area and play ground for those of us with more then one.
That is actually my number 1 choice for hosting the league due to it being a small 9 hole course and it is more centered for people to come from the Detroit area and the Ann Arbor area. What is everyone thoughts on a fall league starting mid September going through October then a spring league starting in April going through May? As far as points go anyone got any ideas? I know I don't want an ace pool but I want to give out more points for kids aces than parents aces. I am also thinking of getting minis for ace prizes. What are your thoughts?

While my 4.5 month old is eyeing my discs and has his own mini, he is not ready to make his appearance just yet - somthing about the excess drool getting in the way of a solid grip on the disc.

Anyway, this is a GREAT idea. I applaud your effort in getting behind this! I look forward to the day when my lil guy can start throwing a disc.

it will go by faster then you think sir...
I'm liking this!  My daughter is maybe a shade too young, as she's just no getting the disc about 5-10 ft in front of the tee, but this would be cool
Innova sells some kids friendly discs too. If you can get a hold of one of their booklets they have a page on them. They have DX lite discs 130 grams for $9.99 a sonic, wedge, skeeter, leopard, valkyrie, and a polecat that also comes in 105grams and between 125-135 their east coast order line is 800-476-3968 and west coast 800-408-8449. I hope that helps and I hope you get some participants for this it sounds really cool. I am from South Carolina and my wife and kids play with me when possible.
thats about what im expecting the kids to do.  Well the younger ones.  The age range I'm looking to support with this is a 5 and under class then a 10 and under class.
I think we have a league name, Little Aces. What do you think?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968