www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

How much do pro shops pay for used discs? Do they consider plastic type and condition? I have a gaggle of discs that I am too lazy to post for sale or trade on a forum. I also dread going through the hassle of mailing them. Any information is appreciated.

Views: 6

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Anywhere from a low of $2 for any disc at the worst place. To a high of $6 for tie dyes. You can figure on about 1/2 of what they sell used ones for.
i believe that'd you'd for sure get a better deal selling to consumers such as ourselves, considering that businesses need to make a profit off of them, and you would really get ripped of for em if you went to a disc shop. at least in my opinion.
Do you have any Play it Again Sports in your area? They will buy them from you, but you won't get very much. One other idea for you. Is that I would bring my discs to the course and set them out by the 1st tee. I sold quite a few that way. I would even let them throw them a few times (if used) to see if they liked them. It was pretty hassel free, although hit and miss, but I sold approx 80% that way.
It's kinda sad, like many other items, unless it's rare there is not much return on trying to sell a used disc. But I would not say that your getting ripped off, the store is there to make a profit, and as they can't sell used plastic for much they can't buy it for much. Try craigslist... you might find locals who'll meet up with you and give you a better deal... no shipping that way... plus you could make a friend :)
ebay sell them in lots of 10- 20. You could do 100 disc lot, but you will make less doing it that way. I sold about 8 10 disc premium lots. I made on average about 80 bucks plus like the 18 bucks shipping.
You'll get about half or what you think they are worth. And you need to be careful about collector editions. Most of the time you'll get the same $4-$7 dollars for a Champion Valk as you do for a proto CE version, so go through them carefully before you sell. As to calling it a rip-off, I don't. When I factor in all of the hassle and expense involved in selling a product to the public. I think it's an even deal unless, you have a good craigslist in your area. Here craigslist is a good resource, so it makes it easier to advertise and no shipping unless you chose to add that feature.
Which pro shop have you sold discs to? (You're in Austin, right?) I think I agree with you about not wanting to endure the hassle.
Both Play It Again Sports (two locations one North and one South) and Disc Nation will work with you. I usually just trade for merchandise, but I know for sure that PIAS will pay cash. I think Disc Nation will only trade, but I've never asked about cash, so I don't know for sure. Both places will go through your offerings and make you an offer on the lot, based on condition and type of plastic of each disc. Both stores are in south Austin, possibly making them easier to get to from San Antonio.

Another nearly painless alternative is to try selling to individuals at the golf course. Occasionally I see guys and minis or league selling or trading discs before and after the event. Most of the time it seems they are getting about the same amount that shops are charging for similar plastic. Of course you may not be able to move more than a handful at a time that way, but you'll get more money in the long run.
Thanks for all of the replies.
If you cannot sell them you may want to donate them to a local charity or school that has disc golf. This past summer I introduced disc golf to Camp Happy Days in South Carolina which is a camp for children with cancer and I gave away around 90 discs to the children that were donated by me and friends in other clubs throughout South Carolina. Next summer I hope to have double that amount to give the children.

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968