www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I always thought a stable disc was one that flies straight.

I always thought an overstable disc was one that has a tendency to turn left, RHBH.

I always thought an understable disc was one that has a tendency to turn right, RHBH.

I've seen a lot of people throw a disc RHBH that goes hard left, then come up with a comment like, "Man, that thing is super stable!" or "Man, that thing is ultra stable!" or "Man, that thing is extra stable!"

Am I the one that's confused or is it them?  If it turns hard left RHBH, shouldn't it be super-, ultra-, extra-OVERstable?  Doesn't what they're saying effectively mean that the disc flies super-, ultra-, extra-straight, which isn't true?

Tags: overstable, semantics, stable

Views: 996

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

in my humble opinion ... the natural finish for a RHBH thrower when you spin a disc out of your hand is   ( it does what it naturally should do with that spin on it   it's stable  so  finishes left  )  discs like the the stingray or roadrunner are classified as understable discs ( they for a RHBH player fly straight out of the hand then because of their design go right )

Hyzer  =  stable   anhyzer  =  understable  

meet you at ammon ranch for some frolf mark ellis the weather is gorgeous up here right now!

I have always had an issue with the left turn-right turn description of stability. Yes, a disc will finish more left or right depending on stability but this has more to do with release angle & speed. IMO "true stability" is a disc's tendency to either get to the ground (more stable) or stay in the air (less stable). This make more sense when you watch an approach shot from a side angle. An overstable disc loses its momentum then almost stops and fights to get to the ground. An understable disc will hold its momentum and resist that urge to drop and will glide to a finish.

I can make any disc fly any direction to some degree, stability is what makes it stay up or get down.

Stable Disc :  Champion Viking

Understable Disc : Beat Stingray

Overstable Disc : Champion Whippet X

So here's the underlying question: is the whippet more stable than the viking or is the whippet more overstable than the viking? If it's the latter, then would it be appropriate to say the viking is more stable than the whippet since stable means straight and the viking flies straighter?

I think your thinking about it all wrong. A discs stability is relative to the thrower, so lets say for funs sake that a pro has enough arm speed and snap to throw 1000 ft (i know they cant), the pro would not be able to throw a disc lacking stability (understable) because even with 100% angle on a hyzer flip it will still turn over and become a cut roller instantly. But take the other two discs both stable (at higher speeds) and have him throw them, he could turn over the viking but it would come back at the end (more then likely when trying to throw straight) where as the whippet would fly straight to start and fade left at the end. While both discs are stable, the whippet is more stable (overstable, which just means very stable even at high speeds) then the viking.

Now take a noob, he throws the stingray straight, the viking fades left and the whippet meat hooks into the dirt (left), he would think the stingray is stable and the other two very stable (or overstable) because of his relative ability.

So think of stable as the ability of a disc to resist high speed turn.... the less snap and arm speed you have the less stable discs you need to throw straight, the bigger your arm the more stability you need in a disc to get it to go straight. 

For me an avenger is stable and a boss is very stable, for a distance throwing pro (lets say avery) the avenger is probaly slightly understsable and the boss is stable.

At least thats how I see it, so in my book there is understable and stable. But when something is very stable, even in wind it can be called either, stable or overstable.

My .02 worth...

I use the term stable to mean that a disc goes pefectly staright. As OP said, understable it turns to the right (RHBH) and overstable it turns to the left. Saying that something is "very stable" should mean that it truly goes straight, not that it is overstable. I just believe that those terms get interchanged when in reality they should not.

And of course discs are rated with numbers for stability and all. Often times those numbers don't mean a whole lot and especially when discs are compared from different brands. The only way to really know how a disc flies is to throw it. And of course don't forget the wind which can change stability drastically.

I understand how discs fly, how they're different in different plastics, how the wind affects them, how form and arm speed affect them and all that stuff. That's not what the thread is about. The question was just about the semantics of the words stable and overstable. Jim, I always thought what you were saying was the way it was supposed to be but it seems like most people are saying we're wrong. Apparently "very stable" is the same as "overstable", not "very straight" like you and I thought.

Stable = Straight Flyer with no fade.

Understable = Turns Towards the Body of the thrower.

Overstable = Turns Away from the body of the thrower.

I got that part. So what does "more stable" mean? Does it mean straighter or is it synonymous with overstable?

More Stable is alot closer to Overstable. Stable is just Stable. Anything More is considered Overstable.

More Overstable is like a Meat Hook.

If you were to logically break down what you said in a previous post Donny, that stable equates to a straight flyer, then more stable should equate to more of a straight flyer. I think that is where the confusion comes around. Maybe people should just not use the terms "more stable" or "very stable" and there wouldn't be any confusion. I for one will refer to discs as understable, stable and overstable and I will not use the other terms. That way there will be no confusion if I am describing the flight of a disc.

As this article points out, stability is indeed a relative term based on arm speed and snap...

http://www.disclife.com/re03_stability.shtml

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968