www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I always thought a stable disc was one that flies straight.

I always thought an overstable disc was one that has a tendency to turn left, RHBH.

I always thought an understable disc was one that has a tendency to turn right, RHBH.

I've seen a lot of people throw a disc RHBH that goes hard left, then come up with a comment like, "Man, that thing is super stable!" or "Man, that thing is ultra stable!" or "Man, that thing is extra stable!"

Am I the one that's confused or is it them?  If it turns hard left RHBH, shouldn't it be super-, ultra-, extra-OVERstable?  Doesn't what they're saying effectively mean that the disc flies super-, ultra-, extra-straight, which isn't true?

Tags: overstable, semantics, stable

Views: 1002

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Correct. The majority of people do not understand disc stability.

I only disagree that a more stable disc is "more straight". And saying stable when you mean straight is the cause of most people's confusion.

Yeah what Donny Said! Overstable on a RHBH goes left, Understable turns Right and Stable is down the center.

Why is this thread still going? It is obvious that people use conflicting terminology. I will refer to a disc that goes perfectly straight as a stable disc and if someone doesn't like that they just shouldn't discuss discs with me. There is no consensus on this issue.

Mostly because I simply cannot drag myself away from an argument. I'm done now, though.

I think what people want, at least what I want, is not an argument but an authority on the subject to tell us how it is. At least that's why the thread was started. I really had no idea that there was this much disagreement on the subject. I was just trying to figure out if my thinking was correct. Turns out there is no correct. Just wish there was some unification. I've learned a lot, though, so that's pretty cool.

This is alot like the topic of "what does flippy mean" that was on here a few months back. Just as long as we all know that I'm right, everything is ok ;)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968