www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

for some of us the names and term of different shots remains a mystery to many. so Here is a nice place to help us out! ANY ADVICE WILL DO , BUT PLEASE KEEP IT POSITIVE. thnx, S

Views: 8

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

when you hold the disc vertical with a backhand grip and throw it with backspin so when it hits the ground it just stops, i call it the "suitcase". one might do this out of a bush or big tree. just imagine holding a large suitcase by the handle and throwing it down some stairs or into a car with backspin. everyone laughs when they throw that shot and i say, "The suitcase, huh?" and they are like what the hell is that? OH! THE SUITCASE!
When that type of shot is thrown with the disc upside down with your thumb under the rim, it's called a grenade. It's a little easier to throw perfectly vertical and not have the disc drift to the left like it's more likely to do with a normal righty backhand thrown vertically like the suitcase.
# Hyzer - Releasing the disc with the outter edge at an angle lower than parallel to the ground. This will cause the most discs to curve to the left.
# Anhyzer - Releasing the disc with the outter edge at an higher than parallel to the ground. This will cause the most discs to curve to the right.
# High Speed Turn - The characteristic of a disc to curve to the right at the beginning of its flight when thrown hard.
# Low Speed Fade - The natural tendency of a disc to tail left as it slows down at the end of its flight.
# Overstable - A term used to describe the relative resistance to high speed turn and amount of low speed fade of a disc. A more overstable disc will generally have higher resistance to turn and greater low speed fade.
# Understable - A term used to describe a disc with relatively low resistance to high speed turn and less low speed fade.
# Turnover - The term used to describe the flight of a disc that curves to the right when thrown flat or at hyzer. A less overstable or understable disc will generally be easier to turn over.
# Nose Down - Releasing the disc with the front end of the disc lower than the back end. Certain discs will fly better when thrown nose down.
# Nose Up - Releasing the disc with the front end of the disc higher than the back end.
# Stall Out - A term used to describe the flight of a disc when it peaks in height and drops off to the left without much glide. This generally occurs when the disc is thrown with the nose up.
# S-Curve - A term used to describe the flight of a disc when it begins by turning to the right and then "flexes" out and glides back to the left.
# Roller - A type of throw where the disc is turned over so far that it lands on its edge and rolls.
# Snap - A term used to describe the armspeed and power a player gets into their throw. More snap will generally make the disc fly faster and further.
love your work, kindofabuzz
It was a copy and paste from http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources/tips.shtml#terms =)

Hootie said:
love your work, kindofabuzz
lol, well it sets everything out well
yeah that is a very good list thnx for posting it. does any one know what an 'annie' is.?
Solomon said:
yeah that is a very good list thnx for posting it. does any one know what an 'annie' is.?
Same as Anhyzer.
Annie is short for anhyzer, see kindofabuzz's list. The problem is, people abbreviate names, they change them, they make up their own names for things, so its hard to list em all. If you have any others you're confused about, chuck em on here and we'll hopefully be able to point you in the right direction.
hey now,back in New jersey around '64-69 we called that throw a"Park/Parked" We threw Wamo Frisbee's in the local parks and the name kind of stuck>This was early target golf form,ultimate game>"oh you just "parked"it,nice throw/lay up.

Chuck Kennedy said:
When that type of shot is thrown with the disc upside down with your thumb under the rim, it's called a grenade. It's a little easier to throw perfectly vertical and not have the disc drift to the left like it's more likely to do with a normal righty backhand thrown vertically like the suitcase.
ok any pointers on thumbers and tomahawks?
Hootie said:
Annie is short for anhyzer, see kindofabuzz's list. The problem is, people abbreviate names, they change them, they make up their own names for things, so its hard to list em all. If you have any others you're confused about, chuck em on here and we'll hopefully be able to point you in the right direction.
Chad Curtis said:
joshlotto said:
when you hold the disc vertical with a backhand grip and throw it with backspin so when it hits the ground it just stops, i call it the "suitcase". one might do this out of a bush or big tree. just imagine holding a large suitcase by the handle and throwing it down some stairs or into a car with backspin. everyone laughs when they throw that shot and i say, "The suitcase, huh?" and they are like what the hell is that? OH! THE SUITCASE!

hehehe. . . the suitcase, huh?? I'm gonna start praticing that one.

I use "the suitcase" or as I call it "the granny shot" to get over obstacles(like pine trees) I find I can be more precise with it because I'm staring at the spot I want to hit all through the shot. I also throw it through very tight gaps in trees to get out of trouble.

Chuck, it's not really a backhand throw because it doesn't come across the body. I might be misinterpretting what you said about it though. Or what Josh calls the suitcase. As I understand him, "the suitcase" starts down by your side and finishes with your arm STRAIGHT up in the air....like painting a fence. That actually makes me think that I'm going to start calling it, "The Miagi" (the old guy from Karate Kid...Chuck, help me with the spelling again please). :-)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968