www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

With the recent losing of the RED HAWK course at Plantation INN, Crystal River Fl. should the PDGA have an investigation about this incident? Should they then punish the people responsible for such actions which occured at this years Players Cup? Is it not the duty of the PDGA to uphold the image of a sport that some of us want to see grow and develop? YES< YES< YES> What would you do? Are you just the casual player or do you travel to many events in your state or further? Shed some light on this subject and show me the other side that I could be missing.

Views: 34

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, I think it is out of the hands of PDGA. Now it is way to late. If somthing were to be done, at the tournament would have been the perfect opportunity. I'm sure there were PDGA affiliated people there, right? Maybe they should be the ones to patrol the halls of hosting hotels, and if they smell pot, hear people being loud and drunk, call the police, it's a disturbance. That will show that they do not promote illeagal activity, do not tolerate it, and they are trying to keep the facilities nice. I am sure the officials that were there got some word on what happened, or what was happening. I seem to hear a lot of things when I am at tournements. If they turned their back and closed their eyes then, I think it is hard to go back now and say they have a problem with it.

Maybe the PDGA should have a risk management representative at each event that can fill out incident reports that document who, when, where, and what happened. If you are cited in that report, you will be reviewed by the board. maybe have a strike system, each strike has different consequences (fines, probation, suspension) that are actually enforced. That way next time something happens it's not just one big game of telephone and the story is all he said she said.
Punishments for players???? I'm confused about that... if there was a group or individual that was obviously responsible, that the Plantation Inn said "thats the guy, he screwed it up for everyone" then maybe the pdga should punish that person. but I haven't gathered that at all... it seems to me the pdga is good at a few things (thats generous) which certainly dont involve governing off the course incidents such as hotel room issues (that is for the hotel/police to deal with). The pdga is not an "investigative" body. The pdga should avoid witch hunts and focus on making my $75 go farther. I'm not justifying or defending whoever created this situation (certainly sucks that the tournament/course is gone) just saying the witch hunt thing does nothing for nobody. I'll be missing you Crystal River...
It simply boils down to the fact you don't have the right to pick which rules apply to YOU during sanctioned play. If you don't like the rules, don't play that one event, whatever. Don't break one rule and try to call someone else on a footfault or not marking their lie.
If someone was doing such illegal activities during play and it was known by a TD, they should be disqualified.
Hopefully this will never happen again and can be looked at as what not to do, to better the future of the sport.
Ben Calhoun said:
It simply boils down to the fact you don't have the right to pick which rules apply to YOU during sanctioned play. If you don't like the rules, don't play that one event, whatever. Don't break one rule and try to call someone else on a footfault or not marking their lie.
If someone was doing such illegal activities during play and it was known by a TD, they should be disqualified.
Hopefully this will never happen again and can be looked at as what not to do, to better the future of the sport.
I played the 2005 Players Cup and it was a very well run tournament on a challenging course and the players were professional...I brought my son and am pleased I did...One bad apple does not spoil the whole bunch...

Bart

www.DiscGolfFlyMart.com
If the Resort wanted to keep the tournament and the course. They should have called police, had whoever involved arrested, pressed charges, then filed a no tresspassing order against them. Whatever pro(s) were involved would then have not been able to keep compeating, nor be able to return for next years event. Then the PDGA would not have to do anything. Bad apple(s) pulled from the bunch. I have a feeling they just took everyone that is there as a bad apple, and therefore we lost a great course.

On a side note, I don't want to play at a course where I'm looked at as the same as every other a$$hole on the course either. Just like there are idiots everywhere, dosn't mean you are one. You have to know how to handle problems, they happen every day.
Hey, here is an idea everyone. Learn some discretion and course etiquette. I realize that we as disc golfers generally don't have to pay much of anything for 18 holes and in my opinion this fact has shaped the appearance of this game. Ball golfers like to have a good time too, don't act like they aren't doing the very things we are talking about. The difference to me is they payed a bunch of money to play a round and are more likely to respect the rules. What i'm saying is i think you can still have a good time on the course and not piss a bunch of people off. Just don't act like a fool. If this cannot be avoided, be discreet. jeeez!!
Smoking pot and drinking beer, maybe that's how their throwing those 400+ shots.Might give it a try.
WTF ? I never played Red Hawk . Can anything be done to change their minds ?
I'm astonished by the swift response from everyone on this topic. As one of the touring pros who was at this years Player's Cup I can say that all the correct information hasn't come forward. I can't go into specifics obviously but there definitely was not any "destruction" of hotel rooms by anyone. It is true that The Plantation Inn may have exaggerated a few things to benefit their agenda. In order to help the PDGA in there investigation I have talked with Michael Barnett at length about this incident. I grieve for the loss of this great course but also agree that Disc Golf is not welcome on Ball Golf courses. The only thing we have in common is a good walk spoiled. I think we need to stop wasting energy on Ball Golf courses who ultimately don't want us there but for our money. With the exception of an ideal situation that carries contracts etc.
As I suspected, it smelled like there may have been something else cooking in the Plantation Inns kitchen.

Pure Disc Golf dot Com said:
I'm astonished by the swift response from everyone on this topic. As one of the touring pros who was at this years Player's Cup I can say that all the correct information hasn't come forward. I can't go into specifics obviously but there definitely was not any "destruction" of hotel rooms by anyone. It is true that The Plantation Inn may have exaggerated a few things to benefit their agenda. In order to help the PDGA in there investigation I have talked with Michael Barnett at length about this incident. I grieve for the loss of this great course but also agree that Disc Golf is not welcome on Ball Golf courses. The only thing we have in common is a good walk spoiled. I think we need to stop wasting energy on Ball Golf courses who ultimately don't want us there but for our money. With the exception of an ideal situation that carries contracts etc.
Rosa Parks made it possible ,and no one want to go to the back of the bus.If you do not want to support a course on a golf course dont go.We now have options that were not possible years ago. Real sponsership will happen on a golf course not a park.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968