www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

With the recent losing of the RED HAWK course at Plantation INN, Crystal River Fl. should the PDGA have an investigation about this incident? Should they then punish the people responsible for such actions which occured at this years Players Cup? Is it not the duty of the PDGA to uphold the image of a sport that some of us want to see grow and develop? YES< YES< YES> What would you do? Are you just the casual player or do you travel to many events in your state or further? Shed some light on this subject and show me the other side that I could be missing.

Views: 31

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yeah, a little pot never hurt anyone, right? That's what potheads like to think anyway. A little pot cost this community a great course and the revenue that comes with a major event like the Players Cup. A little pot made the entire disc golf community look bad and set us all back in terms of the growth of the sport. But, hey, it's just a little pot!
Sponsorship is a whole different discussion. A whole planet away. Snowboarding and Skiing X Games style dual sponsorship works. I cant see them cutting away from Tiger Woods finishing on 18 to pan over to Dave Feldberg teeing off on on hole 1.
Having never played in Fl., doubtful I'll ever be good enough to step up to the level of the Players Cup, & know Mike Barnett (I am sure he did a bang up job controlling damage, as well), and this is definitely not what is going to advance our beloved sport into the hearts & minds of the masses. Myself and other throwers in my area play on a public park course and we still go out for tags or whatever match usually with festive beverages in hand. I believe that a little common sense goes a long way. We mingle with other park users, try to promote the sport to everybody and help to keep the park "picked up".
Community leaders have seen our efforts as a positive thing and, maybe I am being naive, but they know what is in our "discreet" plastic cups. Our course helps the community and all it costs is a little thing called RESPECT. For yourself, for others, for good ol' Mother Nature. Be nice, be kind, just don't be STUPID!
So I agree that whomever is responsible for destroying, not enjoying, what others have created should be prosecuted as an example to others of what not to do out on the course or at an event.
Peace and good tossin'
I am Karnack and I see the future ........... what do you see old great one ?? .......... " I see the with a major recession looming less support and money for ball golf courses ......... maybe less sponsorship monies available ,,,,,,,, I see Avery getting Tiger's old spot with Buick ............. perhaps Obama will bring in medicinal use legislation and all the dedented will get a slip for a higher use ....... ball courses may be going down and not wanting to mow and sprinkle and fertilize anymore and will be wanting the parks boards to take over their assets for a few years ........... watch carefully and propose an alternative use for ball golf ........... you know what I'm talking at don't you .......... that's right volleyball courts and lots of em " ..... karnack has spoken
Why does pizza hut, and taco bell, share the same building, karnak?anwser co op business why do they need 2 buildings.2 cooks 2 order takers and 4 staff workers.To prepare bread ,cheese ,tomatoes, and meat ,and serve italian food, and mexican food.And what do you know, better price for the consumer ,and a bigger profit for both franchises,...This is known as a win win for all.The same as being on a golf course, the work they do for day to day operations we benefit, from pro shop, with rentals, discs for sale, a lost and found bin, score card ,map ,pencil .His and hers bathrooms in 2 locations with toilet paper.Also a restaraunt where you can get breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and the bar for all your favorite beverages and shots of tequila.........Oh dont forget you have complete coverage buy there insurance if any player gets hurt.How about a freshly charged golf cart to enjoy the day.......The benefits to all are many.Welcome to a sound business plan.
So in that scam, who really owns the course, the profits, the amenities? Sounds like someone talks them into letting you build it, then after you walk they have the option to run it well, or run it into the ground. I would rather play a challenging professional course here in Michigan or Colorado where the courses have a natural beauty and challenge. Here individuals build the courses, many times with their own money, like our course. Then we maintain it, we sell discs, we host tournaments, we have just built a new course because of the success of this one. I would rather support disc golfers that take care of their own course and promote the sport. If I want to support the local country club I'll buy a membership. There is a new course here in Michigan at Byron on a golf course. It's great, there is golf carts, it's long and open. But, families don't play there it's way to hard for them, but if you take the distance out there's not much to it, and as wide open as it is it doesn't take much. Maybe in Florida and California golf courses are your only option because there is no land left and the little there is cost big money. Your parks are small compaired to ours. These are huge differances also as to what makes a course challenging and fun to play.

Flyboy said:
Why does pizza hut, and taco bell, share the same building, karnak?anwser co op business why do they need 2 buildings.2 cooks 2 order takers and 4 staff workers.To prepare bread ,cheese ,tomatoes, and meat ,and serve italian food, and mexican food.And what do you know, better price for the consumer ,and a bigger profit for both franchises,...This is known as a win win for all.The same as being on a golf course, the work they do for day to day operations we benefit, from pro shop, with rentals, discs for sale, a lost and found bin, score card ,map ,pencil .His and hers bathrooms in 2 locations with toilet paper.Also a restaraunt where you can get breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and the bar for all your favorite beverages and shots of tequila.........Oh dont forget you have complete coverage buy there insurance if any player gets hurt.How about a freshly charged golf cart to enjoy the day.......The benefits to all are many.Welcome to a sound business plan.
Oh, and Taco Bell/Pizza Hut or any dual franchise like that is a form of downsizing by the franchise owner. The same franchize owns both brands. They make more profit by having less employees, smaller menu in the same storefront. I really don't think we need to worry about downsizing our efforts to grow the sport (look what downsizing has done to the economy). Yes, that will grow a golf courses profit, but I dont care about helping them out, I think they make enough money. They aren't going to go build a new course with that money or help someone else build a course. That is what dg clubs do. So if you want to erase clubs that run leagues tournaments and build courses, yes I think that is a good direction. But if you want to see the sport grow, I believe that these clubs are a important part of the equation.
Disc golfers behaving poorly? carts driven rudely? damage to propety? this sounds like a story I heard before. Does anyone else remember a similar story from a few years back? Was the city called Titusville?
As far as golf cart problems, we had them in Port Arthur at 1994 Pro Worlds. The problems (racing) and damage was such that they were not availble for rental at Worlds the following year at the same location.
The titusville course was my first one I put in.It was 2000 and yes there was a few infractions but none of them were the demise of that course.After 2 years in the ground the owner and the GM were in a letigious battle in course and my baskets on the course were going to be confecated and the courts would decide whos they were.Double G did forget to put the brake on the cart on hole 10 and it rolled in the pond....That was an awsome course...
See the kind of disputes that can be created when having a dg course on a ball courses property. What if they sell to a new owner, what if they go bankrupt, what if the GM and and owner get in a legal battle. Course will be gone along with all the work. Seems like a lot of "what if's" to worry about, just to have the luxury of a golf cart, and snack bar. They made money on that course, right? Did they go build or help build a new one, grow the sport, or did they keep their money?
We had a Fly 18 a few years back in Ft Worth. It was fun to play every once in a while with the carts and such. You could buy beer, kinda pricey but legal to do while you golfed.
That course was sold to a developer who I believe built a retirement living center. The baskets were kind of funky if I remember and I have never seen them since. They were funky but very usable, now they're just gone. Too bad, I think they would've been perfect for a private course somewhere.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968