www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

With the recent losing of the RED HAWK course at Plantation INN, Crystal River Fl. should the PDGA have an investigation about this incident? Should they then punish the people responsible for such actions which occured at this years Players Cup? Is it not the duty of the PDGA to uphold the image of a sport that some of us want to see grow and develop? YES< YES< YES> What would you do? Are you just the casual player or do you travel to many events in your state or further? Shed some light on this subject and show me the other side that I could be missing.

Views: 27

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, but those sports are already established. We have no room for error. Tokers are the few in other sports and in general. There are easily more toking DGers than not. Sad.

Mike said:
I also play ball golf and to be honest, I have been offered to smoke more when doing that than when discing. People also swear very loudly on a ball golf course. People smoke in many places in many sports. Yes, it is counteractive to what we are trying to do, but I think blaming all our problems on one aspect is like shooting a dead horse.

wayhighoffire said:
next thing you know, they will be closing ski slopes because of the overwhelming smell of herb
why is it sad?
That's even more sad.

wayhighoffire said:
why is it sad?
tokers=olympic snowboarders

Atrain said:
Yes, but those sports are already established. We have no room for error. Tokers are the few in other sports and in general. There are easily more toking DGers than not. Sad.

Mike said:
I also play ball golf and to be honest, I have been offered to smoke more when doing that than when discing. People also swear very loudly on a ball golf course. People smoke in many places in many sports. Yes, it is counteractive to what we are trying to do, but I think blaming all our problems on one aspect is like shooting a dead horse.

wayhighoffire said:
next thing you know, they will be closing ski slopes because of the overwhelming smell of herb
exactly
I totally agree with the last comment. Knowing when to say when is the main issue. I also think that this is the time that the PDGA needs to step up and do something, if the dont I fear that it will send the wrong image to the rest of the up and coming touring "Pros" and we as a sport and community will gain a even worse image then what we have now. and courses like red hawk will become a fond memory...
Right on, my point exactly. Why wouldnt they just not host that event, if that was the issue? Why pull the whole course? Look past the horizon. The class of people on a ball golf course, clash with the class of people on a disc golf course. This will never work well in my opinion. The ball golfers don't want us there, reguardless of what we are doing, even if it is the same thing they do. I think that has more to do with this than anything else. Rooms getting damaged, your hotel smelling like pot? Call the police they would have arrested the bad apples, problem solved. Did they, doesn't sound like it. So that complaint sounds pretty weak to me. It has more to do with keeping their main clientel happy with their golf course and facilities, not the few disc golfers that come through once a year.

Don't get me wrong, dgers that caused damage, and or, clam baked the hotel are asses. But to have a verified claim of what happened is different than bringing up issues after the fact when it is old news. Sounds like some of the staff should be fired for not taking the proper actions (calling police) when it was a problem. It is their responsibility to help keep guests safe. How do we know it wasn't guests of the ball golf resort contributing to the odor? We don't, because authorities were not contacted, and it sounds like no formal report was made. All of it sounds like "hear say".

Fact is, Red Hawk is gone along with that event for now. So the PDGA will investigate "claims" others will deny said claims. Round and round we will go. At these events when things like this happen there needs to be reports made when it happens, police called. That is how you show it is not tolerated. Making an announcement before a tournament saying no drugs while everyone chuckles, is a joke! Should they also include don't trash the hotel that is hosting us? Because I thought that was carnal knowledge.

Mojo said:
The issue is not, nor should it be, whether you party and play disc golf. The issue IS, whether you have the brains to not party while involved in a major PDGA event. Get real folks, senators party, so do CEO's and yes, even disc golfers. It's knowing when not to party that makes you successful...
Gabriel said:
tokers=olympic snowboarders

Atrain said:

Mike said:

wayhighoffire said:

Yes, some potsmokers can succeed in what they do. There are both those who can smoke while away from whatever they do and still perform well and those that can smoke while they do it and still do it well. The thing is those people are few and far between. Most smokers cannot function as well as they do on it as they can off it. It is sad that there are so many people that smoke playing my favorite sport that it has generated a stereotype.

That is sad.
sounds like atrain has gotten beat by one to many potheads and has a grudge. i'm sorry d00d

" Most smokers cannot function as well as they do on it as they can off it."

can i see your research? how did you come to this conclusion?
judge not, you toolbox
wayhighoffire said:
sounds like atrain has gotten beat by one to many potheads and has a grudge. i'm sorry d00d

" Most smokers cannot function as well as they do on it as they can off it."

can i see your research? how did you come to this conclusion?
judge not, you toolbox

Don't get personal. I was not trying to offend anyone.

It is true that I have been beat by potheads, as it is also true that I have beat them too.

It is also true that I beat and lost to non smokers when I was a pothead.

My research was very hands-on. I was a heavy toker for a long time.

I know for sure that I can't function as well. And I have witnessed a lot of friends not function as well either.

But don't admit that you haven't rightfully blamed something stupid that you've done on being stoned.

Like I said before, some can, most can't.

I did not judge anybody either. I did not, nor do not think less of tokers. I said that I think it's sad that our sport has this stigma attached to it.

Now, can we get back to the discussion at hand? I'll assume you are a toker. What are your thoughts on what the PDGA should or shouldn't do in these situations?
Steady Ed is rolling over in his grave right now. I wasn't even born when this sport started, but still know that this sport was started by pot smoking hippies. There is a place for everyone in this sport, just like any other sport. You just happened to pick the one that has a fair amount of stoners in it.It's not a stigma. It's history. Love it or leave it, because you can't take the stoner out of a sport started by stoners.
it is almost to late to do anything about it now. the td should have been on top of what was going on on the course during play and if there was an overwhelming smell of the ganja at the hotel, the law should have been call'd right away. this was a major event. i didn't see or smell any weed during play while i was at the usdgc last oct. and i have an eye and a nose for that stuff (yes i am smoker, good call). obviously the players cup was know for a "good time" and it just got out of hand.

if someone wants to get way fade'd during a tourney that i am playing in, i don't have a problem with that. but, i only play b tier and below. if i were in a major event and i witness'd it, i would not mind either, if someone blazes and gets bust'd then that is one less competitor i have to worry about.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968