www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Just wondering with the impact Blizzard Champion plastic is having recently on the game if people think there should be weight limits for pro tourneys, am tourneys, etc.? Discuss. 

Views: 286

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No.

agreed.. there are already rules in place. PDGA approved already means something when stamped on a disc.

Evolution of the disc will keep giving us more distance with less form, power, skill... whatever you want to judge it by. Just like in ball golf with the drivers being made of new material or the balls having been made in a way for optimal shot selection. I think the only thing that will change from this new distance everyone will be having is the creation of longer courses. 

As far as the being a weight limit, I say no. Yes you get added distance but you lose control in the wind.

No.

Japan already has a weight limit on discs used over there, I believe its 159.9

This is to limit damage to people and objects, not to ensure more distance from the players.

There already are weight limits/requirements for discs.  Do you mean minimum weights as well?  If so what would be the point?

I don't know, I was curious to hear what people thought. For example, in track and field the discus has to weigh a certain weight and everyone throws the same weight. So, the discus itself gives no one an advantage over the other competitors. But, if lighter weights can be thrown further...just wondering if it gives an "unfair" advantage to the players with the lighter discs. 

No because anyone can throw the lighter discs.

If everyone has equal access to the same product then it doesn't give anyone an unfair advantage.

Lighter weights can only be thrown further in certain conditions. The key is matching the mass of the disc with a person's ability to accelerate it. Since we are not throwing in a vacuum, there are several environmental variables in play. So, even if, in perfectly calm conditions one of us can throw a blizzard boss as far as Bradley rips his 171 SDS, he still has the advantage because that disc is going to behave similarly across a wider range of environmental conditions than the blizzard boss will. 

Caveat: I am talking level golf shots, here. I am not talking about distance shots being thrown on a 45 degree trajectory. I am not sure if there is even a counter argument there, I just want to make sure it is avoided.

Lighter discs go farther under some conditions for some people than heavier discs. World records have always been thrown with discs lighter than max weight for the mold. The only thing special about Blizzard discs is that some molds haven't been able to be made much lighter in the past. Players are not throwing more accurately even if sometimes they can throw farther with a Blizzard disc than what they threw before. There's no threat of courses becoming obsolete due to occasional longer throws unless they develop a disc that hones in on the basket better at long distances.

The head of those Japanese leagues must have a weak arm. Lots of Japanese are really good pitchers in baseball. They must use a lighter ball over there. Tough adjustment coming to the states. I just hope they play by the same rules

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968