www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Do you know someone that is more than just a player.
They do more than fling a disc.
You know this person(s).

Go above & beyond.
A Tournament Director, volunteer, promoter, retailer, sponsor.
They make disc golf in your town.

Then reward them this year with a chance to win the
Shut Up & Throw Award!

Nominate this person on this forum page (Announcing the "Shut Up & Throw Award") and tell everyone (brag) what this person has done for the sport of disc golf or charity in 2008.
Remember 2008 is not over yet. Still most of December to go.
In January, A vote through DGRS will determine who will win.

This person will get $100 worth of DiscPlayer swag!
FREE!

This promotion brought to you by discplayersports.com
Shut Up & Buy!

Views: 32

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

For Dallas, I nominate Bryan James. Not only has he served as the PDGA Texas state coordinator, he has been the driving force for the Carrollton Open for many, many years.
I guess I am going to be the first to say it. I nominate Terry "The Pirate" Calhoun, and everyone here knows why. I personally thing that he should be the first to get this award, if he hasn't already.
I'll second that..
Jack Davis said:
I guess I am going to be the first to say it. I nominate Terry "The Pirate" Calhoun, and everyone here knows why. I personally thing that he should be the first to get this award, if he hasn't already.
Big Rapids, MI Leonard Johnson. Leonard has brought disc golf to Big Rapids and Ferris State University by building the Northend Riverside Park course here. He financed the course out of pocket as the city only gave him the land, and is now obtaining hole sponsors.
Leonard is a Professor of Education at Ferris, and also teaches a disc sports class here on campus that includes disc golf and ultimate. Students in that class have to log 30 hours of disc golf play at the course. Leonard also runs spring, summer, and fall league as well as multiple tournaments here, including the Michigan Intercollegiate Disc Golf Challenge (MIDGC). In the MIDGC he organizes ten (10) events around the state of Michigan that five colleges/universities participate in.
Curently, Leonard is heading the build of a new course 15min from Big Rapids in the Newaygo State Park. The course is now awaiting baskets and some finishing touches, that are set to be completed by May. This course will be the last stop on May 15th for the MIDGC 2008/2009 season.
I also put my $0.02 in for Terry Calhoun!
Atlanta GA

Name : Wade Selph

Rating: 790

ADGO tag - WAS

Wade Selph is the most "Selph"less person that I know. Being a rec player for almost 20 years now, you would think most would either give up the game or just play casually. Wade is anything but that. Wade is a constant at almost every work day and every tournament in the State of Ga. His home course is JP Moseley where he is out every week and has dug, raked, chopped, cut, implanted, replanted something on most every hole. He doesnt only do this for his home course either, there are others that can claim to have his dedication as well.

Wade sponsors holes at every tournament he plays and is always on the set up committee. He has no issues being at the tournament at 7 am and walking out of bounds lines, or flagging tee pads, or changing baskets. Ive never seen him ask, nor would he ever, for special recognition. Most dont realize the impact he has on disc golf in the Atlanta area. Most of the times he pays extra, just to give to the tournament.

I envy his dedication to the growth of the game, although I dont envy his game... just kidding. But Wade Selph is the stand up model for rec players nationwide and is completly deserving of the shut up and throw award.
apart from the obvious....ie. Terry "hemingway" Calhoun......I'll keep this nominees to a personal level......these three people have impacted my discgolfing in 2008 in major ways..........

1. Robert "Foz" Miller.....not only for getting great sponsors for A3disc's '08 season, videos/images of local events......but for purchasing my "golden ticket". Foz went and bought my winning sparkle rogue from DGA/ gotta go gotta throw's worlds flymart at the hotel in K-zoo.....what a great guy for actually providing them my info for me to win the orange sunburst powder-coated set of 18 mach IIIs......

2. Scott keasey @ DGA- for dreaming up the 18 basket promo raffle in the first place. What an awesome concept.....give away a full course worth of baskets. Scott has been great and got me introduced to some disc golf heavyweights....including an interview for the movie "chains".......Please people get out and support DGA by buying their stuff!!!!!

3. Scott White-local 101 president- shortly after winning the raffle, Scott contacted me about the baskets....turns out they (local 101) were already working with Washtenaw county parks to get a course installed at Independence Lake park.....being a father of three and having a busy veterinary career, I didn't have a lot of free time to "shop" my baskets to local parks, etc. Scott made the process of getting a top-notch course close to home with my baskets a reality!!!!

those are my "personal" nominees!!!!!!
I would definitely second Mike's nomination for Leonard Johnson. He has done so much for the sport and always has a positive attitude when it comes to the flying discs. It's always a pleasure to throw a round with Leonard just to hear what he's up to next.

Craig

Mike said:
Big Rapids, MI Leonard Johnson. Leonard has brought disc golf to Big Rapids and Ferris State University by building the Northend Riverside Park course here. He financed the course out of pocket as the city only gave him the land, and is now obtaining hole sponsors.
Leonard is a Professor of Education at Ferris, and also teaches a disc sports class here on campus that includes disc golf and ultimate. Students in that class have to log 30 hours of disc golf play at the course. Leonard also runs spring, summer, and fall league as well as multiple tournaments here, including the Michigan Intercollegiate Disc Golf Challenge (MIDGC). In the MIDGC he organizes ten (10) events around the state of Michigan that five colleges/universities participate in.
Curently, Leonard is heading the build of a new course 15min from Big Rapids in the Newaygo State Park. The course is now awaiting baskets and some finishing touches, that are set to be completed by May. This course will be the last stop on May 15th for the MIDGC 2008/2009 season.
Jack Davis said:

!#$%^&*()_^%$#@!$%^&*()_+_)(#@$_+_)(&^%#$%^&()

Terry Calhoun is worthy of the award but even if he wins you all are fooling yourselves if you think you can get him to shut up.

Throw? sure. Shut up? no way.
Dan Ginnley !!!!
I would have to agree....Terry is a most worthy nominee!!!!
No one's nominated me yet???? haha jk i nominate the second most obvious choice (terry being the first), mark ellis. i don't have to write what he's done for the sport because its all over this sight!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968