www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Do you know someone that is more than just a player.
They do more than fling a disc.
You know this person(s).

Go above & beyond.
A Tournament Director, volunteer, promoter, retailer, sponsor.
They make disc golf in your town.

Then reward them this year with a chance to win the
Shut Up & Throw Award!

Nominate this person on this forum page (Announcing the "Shut Up & Throw Award") and tell everyone (brag) what this person has done for the sport of disc golf or charity in 2008.
Remember 2008 is not over yet. Still most of December to go.
In January, A vote through DGRS will determine who will win.

This person will get $100 worth of DiscPlayer swag!
FREE!

This promotion brought to you by discplayersports.com
Shut Up & Buy!

Views: 33

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is a great contest, Disc Player Sports!

Appreciate the thoughts, folks, but please take me out of the running. I get all the satisfaction (and recognition) I need, already.

And, Mark, of the seven conference calls I was on today, on at least one of them I did NOT talk more than everyone else. So there.
On that note "A Blah, Blah, Blah Award?"

mark ellis said:
Jack Davis said:
I guess I am going to be the first to say it. I nominate Terry "The Pirate" Calhoun, and everyone here knows why. I personally thing that he should be the first to get this award, if he hasn't already.

!#$%^&*()_^%$#@!$%^&*()_+_)(#@$_+_)(&^%#$%^&()

Terry Calhoun is worthy of the award but even if he wins you all are fooling yourselves if you think you can get him to shut up.

Throw? sure. Shut up? no way.
HAHAHAHHAH never had the privilege to play with him so I'll take ya word for it

mark ellis said:
Jack Davis said:
I guess I am going to be the first to say it. I nominate Terry "The Pirate" Calhoun, and everyone here knows why. I personally thing that he should be the first to get this award, if he hasn't already.

!#$%^&*()_^%$#@!$%^&*()_+_)(#@$_+_)(&^%#$%^&()

Terry Calhoun is worthy of the award but even if he wins you all are fooling yourselves if you think you can get him to shut up.

Throw? sure. Shut up? no way.
Oh well I tried, and this just proves how selfless Terry is, and since we all know he would have won and he doesn't want in, Ill go ahead and take all of the swag you were gonna give him. 8-)

Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun said:
This is a great contest, Disc Player Sports!

Appreciate the thoughts, folks, but please take me out of the running. I get all the satisfaction (and recognition) I need, already.

And, Mark, of the seven conference calls I was on today, on at least one of them I did NOT talk more than everyone else. So there.
Started "Disc Player" in 1998, because there was a need to promote this sport.
Personally know a large group of people that all would qualify for this mere token of appreciation for all the work and time that they have put into the sport that they love. (whew long sentence).
This sport is growing because of these efforts.
There is a lot of positive influence going on.
Going to wait a while to make my list.
It is very long.
Too bad can't give more to all.
But the reward, with "Disc Player" and all the effort is the reward that you are doing something worthwhile.
I nominate..........

JEREMY WATTS # 21281

Let me start by saying that Disc Golf in the Louisville area would not exist if it were not for Jeremy. Since 2004 he has been the soul provider for tournaments. Since he started TD'ing events he has Run anywhere between 2 and 10 PDGA sanctioned events per year and countless other Non-sanctioned events. He has run 3 or 4 Ice Bowls a year since 2004 for 3 different Counties, and donated all proceeds to Mapes Missions. He also ran weekly leagues at 4 different courses that ranged anywhere from 5 miles to 50 miles apart for roughly 3 years.
A few months ago he ran "THE MARIA BENHAM BENEFIT" a C-tier event to help out with Hospital bills for a local golfers wife who was "sideswiped" while riding her motorcycle. She unfortunately lost her leg in this accident and the person responsible left the scene, leaving her family to tend to all the bills. This tournament was thrown together in less than a month. Jeremy also got 2 different companies(1 in Atlanta, and the other in Kentucky) to match all the proceeds raised. There were 36 people that showed up in the pouring down rain and cold to support this. At last count I believe that well over 2 thousand dollars was raised.
Jeremy has been the providing force for improvements at Otter Creek Park since 2004. He was responsible for 90% of the maintenance done at this course. That is until the City of Louisville decided to close it abruptly this past week.
Jeremy started the Charlie Vettiner open along with Dave Greenwell(course designer) 3 years ago. Jeremy's number one goal since day one was to make this Louisville's first A-Tier tournament. In 3 short years he has accomplished his goal. On Sep.6th and 7th 2009 Charlie Vettiner Strikes back will be our first A-Tier tournament. In the past 3 years we have had some very big name Pro's come out to play. Most of this was due to Jeremy's dedication to holding one of the best tournaments in America. Some of the names include Nikko Locastro, Justin Bunnell, Tyler Horne, and last years winner Brad Schick.
Jeremy is also responsible for the LDGC (Louisville Disc Golf Club) Website, which he pays for and maintains all on his own. He took over the website about 3 or 4 years ago. Since than it has grown to become one of the nicest websites out there.
Jeremy has also developed relationships with a few major disc manufacturers and other disc golf related companies.
He has aided in the design and re-design of several course including Meade Olin in Brandenburg Ky, that was hit by a tornado earlier this year. The park was virtually destroyed, yet somehow with Eddie Whalen's assistance, they are well on there way to making this course better than it was to start with.

He has done all of this and still been able to maintain a demanding job, a wife, church which he is also involved heavily in, and his ability to play several different instruments which he devotes a great deal of time to also.
He has only been playing Disc Golf for 6 years yet he somehow has managed to make it the the PRO/OPEN class and is rated 971. He played in 8 tournaments this past year and placed 2nd in two different events and did not finish worse than 9th except for a 16th place finish at the 28th Fall Disc Golf Open. He also cashed in 4 of the 8 events he played in as a PRO. Not bad for a rookie!
All of these accomplishments for the City of Louisville and he doesn't even live here. He lives in Ekron Ky. which is roughly a 45 minute drive from here. That's dedication!!!!!

Please consider this guy for this award. There probably isn't a single person in this country right now who can match the accomplishments or dedication to the sport of disc golf than Jeremy Watts. He is the most dedicated person I have ever met. Without him Louisville disc golf would not be much. He is also the reason why I am learning to TD events.
I would like to give a shout for Wayne Forest, I don't have to go into large detail about how much he does for disc golf in the Tulsa metro area. Just ask anyone he is worthy of the highest praise. I am not even a regular on the Tulsa courses and I can tell you he is the Man always running top notch events.
Come January, time permitting,
ALL the names here will be listed.
Thanks.
Disc Player
Terry Calhoun need I say anything!
Time is running out to post any other nominees.
Will post my list in January.
If you win, graciously accept the stuff!
There are too many in this sport that give everything away....
robert "foz" miller. he has photographed and videoed many players instead of playing himself.copied and sent them to those in his media. whatever you give him comes back double. if he can't play because of injury he'll come hang with you anyway. he has been involved in disc politics,organizations,planning new courses,tournaments. he has dreams of indoor disc and other disc endevours that haven't been done yet.
I think you could name someone or a few people from each state and city who have done miracles for the sport...These are the toss ups from my county (Stark) Dan Kilgore or Bill Griffith...Both have given tons to the community they live and play in from courses to trees to spreading the disc golf word...and im sure DPS has done the same in his state...Id like to say congrats to all those that go above and beyond...you guys drive the younger ones to be all that we can be...have a happy new year all and best of luck to who wins the DPS AWARD!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968