www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

So I've taken matters into my own hands now that it's time to fill my own course with baskets.  I looked everywhere on line and the cheapest baskets are made of plastic!  Just waiting to break when I drive to the basket in January.  The only affordable metal baskets have 4 chains on them!  I want a real basket that reacts like a real basket at the course, you know?  So I made one.  It's the real deal!  1/4" Rod bent like the real thing, welded up, and supporting an outter and inner ring of 12 chains each.  It's powder coated and looks and acts like the real thing.  It is the real thing.  These are going for 479.99  on line.  Look around.  I'm starting to manufacture them, and I'm almost ready to start taking pre-orders.  Anybody out there interested in one of these with a price tag of 250.00?  Sorry, I can only get 230.00 cheaper than the competition.  Let me know what you think..... Lets talk baskets!

Views: 33

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not bad for home made? Are you kidding me? This isn't a homemade basket just because I made it at home. I fabricated it in my metal shop. Sure I can get some close up detail shots. The pole IS a fence post pole with a 1 7/8" outside diameter. The collars that the basket and chain support are welded to are 2" OSD. Improvments were made to the second proto-type as far as chain, and chain attachments but no pics before it got sent off to PDGA for approval. Powder coating on basket in picture is charcoal with metalic flakes. I got a deal on the color at the time but I don't like the low visibility from the tee. It does look pretty sharp up close though. The basket verts where flushed with top of rim are grounded smooth along with any weld inconsistancies. Basket pictured has dipped galvanazed chains. I found they don't move freely enough to give you the chain explosion you'd like when your drive hits the chains
I say well done! Looks very nice.
No, hot dipped anything isn't very smooth...and inherently won't act as fluid as electro upon disc to chain explosion. Hot dipped chains will chew up discs too.
The verts in the picture look sharp...Are you anti nub? Even ground smooth....at the right angle of impact...I'm sure it will take a chunk out of a disc...specially older and DX plastics. If your not turning the rod over the rim...I wonder how much it could be beveled without weakening that point?
This sounds like you're off to a great start. By the time I'm putting my course in I hope you have a solid version that will be for sale in bulk. I'll be needing 18.
Wowzers Jamie.
no, Jamie is right and only tring to help. He, Jamie sounds very educated on the matter and its cool he's bringing up these points that someone may have overlooked. The basket looks nice but I dont like those edges either, they will take divits out of your disc. Putting the top ring on top of them, or wrapping them over the ring would eliminate this. But I am jsut a player, not a technical person!! Nice work though on baskets. Can you imagine how many more courses there will be when these things become affordable to more people?!!!!!
looks great...give 'em hell
Basket looks great, good job. One think that I see that would be an easy fix is the chain alignment. The inner chains cant be right behind the outer. The pole looks to exposed from certain angles.
Another very important issue with not turning the vert over the rim...thus creating the nub...is the structural integrity. Think about it...over a long period of time how will your vert hold up? I do believe all the major manufactures incorporate the nub for long term strength and durability.

Your top rim...those supports look tee'd or butted into it...another area of concern for long term durability...specially with that being where the chain assembly starts. The outer edges of the device is the first line of defense against wear, tear and incidental contact from equipment other than plastic discs.

All it takes is the under trained or disgruntled park employee playing demolishing derby with the riding or walk behind mower ...or even the little kid who thought it was something to climb on.
your chains look too heavy, your construction looks mediocre at best and it looks like there is a good amount of sharp edges ready to chew my very expensive plastic up. Hows your anchoring system work? Is it compatible with other products that may be installed already?

It may catch better than a lightning but in general it doesn't look like much better of a product, the problem is YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR, thats why quality baskets cost what they do. Also if you are trying to make a new basket for the market, why would you not want to improve apon the old designs? That baffles me.

I don't mean to sound like a dick but i have been through this. it is a lot of work to mass produce these things, with bending,jigging,welding coating hanging chains, packing/shipping. There are hundreds of costs you havent even thought of yet that will eventully drive your prices up. And that color you got cheap was cheap cause no one else wanted it, wait untill you have to purchase good colors and pay minimum charges to get stuff painted.

But good luck with your endeavor, it is more work to do this then you think.

Robey
they dont compare,lightning looks sturdy and heavyier,your outer chains look like they would slid down towards inner section..the outer chains are just sitting there ,the lightning outer chains are attached to a loop to hold them in place,

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968