www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Im sure this question has been posted before, but what are the best discs to use sidearm, because i suck at throwing forearm, to get MAXIMUM distance ! Currently my favorite is my 169 gm star wraith my max on that is around 385 ft, but I want more !!! I have destroyers, excaliabers, sl's, beast, orc,starfire, t-rex( thanks to all who gave me advice on my t-rex) raging inferno, crush..... and so on. I feel like I can put a lot more into my throws, are there any tricks or anything, or am I being a boner for wanting more ? Any suggestions ???

Views: 1278

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

try throwing your T-Rex with a little anny on it and let it make a nice sexy S-curve. I agree with the guy that said look at the forehand driving clinic videos by Mark Ellis. Watch it over adn over again and eventually you will start throwing with better form as your brain will try to mimic them. I would suggest picking just one of the 3 people to watch over and over and then go mimic their throws.
Try a Double-D. They start out with a lot of overstability, but as they break in they become less so. The Double-D has a wider wing than a Boss; they're fast! and they have dimple tech (unique sound when you let one fly)... but you have to have a fairly good arm to get them going.

Ryan
=================
The Xcaliber is by far the best forehand disc ive thrown ive gone over 400 with it and its the only disc i can tear into without it flipping over....Did pick up a Teerex though today gonna see wat shes made of tommorow
I throw mostly sidearms (due to my prior baseball and racquetball experience) and I would say the disc I throw depends on the shot. If I want maximum distance into a headwind I bring out the Champion Boss and throw very slight hyzer with a lot of snap (to hopefully prevent the disc from turning over, but it doesn't workout 100%, testing Star Boss now). If I am throwing through a narrow gap long range then I like the Surge or my Champion Tee-Rex X. For shorter narrow drives I will throw a Star Tee Rex. If I want control for anhyzers I throw my beat-in Star Tee-Rex (testing a Flash) and if I want an S-anhyzer for more distance I throw a 1st Run Excalibur. If I want a short overstable shot, Starmax or even a Champion Starfire is good, or a brand new Champion Destroyer not broken in yet. If I am in a tight upshot situation that calls for a sidearm, then I bring out my Star Tee-Rex, and throw less arm speed, knowing that I will get the slight hyzer at the end. I will admit during the summer months when it's particularly hotter and I obtain moisture in my hands, I would prefer to throw more backhand for disc control and release. I think Champion plaster is slightly easier to grip than Star in hot conditions for sidearms.

Bottom line, I think it depends on how much snap and release you can get from the wrist action of a sidearm throw that will ultimately decide which is the best disc to throw for a particular shot. My overall best sidearm disc is the 1st Run Excalibur, because I can throw all shots with it more consistently over the rest, but that would only happen if that were the only disc I bring to the course.
My advice to throwing sidearms: Slightly crouch lower to the ground with throwing shoulder lower than the other, lead with your elbow, keep your palm up parallel to the ground (do not turn over your wrist), focus on releasing off your middle fingertip (index finger against the middle, used to keep disc flat), and always keep your eyes forward focusing completely on your target. Distance comes with quick wrist snap like your cracking a whip or towel.
Hey, thanks alot for the advice. Im sure it will help !
Patrick Paramore said:
My advice to throwing sidearms: Slightly crouch lower to the ground with throwing shoulder lower than the other, lead with your elbow, keep your palm up parallel to the ground (do not turn over your wrist), focus on releasing off your middle fingertip (index finger against the middle, used to keep disc flat), and always keep your eyes forward focusing completely on your target. Distance comes with quick wrist snap like your cracking a whip or towel.
Im getting really good distance with the 1st run champion monsters.I throw them low and hard.Theyre the champion monsters that you cant really see through the disc but they are champion plastic.Check through the rental bins at your local courses170g-175 Ian
Learn to throw backhand!!!!!! It doesn't really matter if you suck at it, everyone does when they start to throw it! You've just got to put in the time like everyone else does and learn to throw it. It will make you a much better golfer and than you will be able to throw multiple ways.
175 Boss & 175 Star Max is all I throw, if you want to try something new though and don't like to throw backhand, try to get your hands on an X-clone and learn how to throw a roller! Good luck! Although I throw various ways, I'd never thought to sidearm some of the discs mentioned, so thanks to all that have responded!
Donny Olow said:
Gotta Love the Z Flick !

I would say that my bag is generally 75% Innova and 25% Discraft, but for sidearm throws I agree with Donny Olow: NOTHING beats the Z Flick by Discraft.

Another I like is Gateway's Diablo DT. The Diablo is great for sidearmers, but the dimpled rim fills up with dirt quickly in the course of a round. I've started carrying an old toothbrush in my bag to get the dirt out of the dimples when I have the Diablo in tow. Another (unrelated) reason I love the Diablo is that it's made of slightly flexible plastic, so when I throw a thumber with it, it generally bounces once and stops. I take advantage of this for long approaches.
I got a 169 gm Star Wraith yesterday and bounced it off of the basket on a 427 ft hole throwing sidearm. Other good discs are the Champion Orc or Monster.
After pondering this question after a couple of posts, I'm going to change my answer and say my Star Tee-Rex is my overall favorite sidearm disc. Today was a perfect example when I was throwing on a longer hole and my drive ending up in a tree, 6ft-4inches up, so luckily I was within 2 meters and no penalty. I was within a few feet of a wall of trees on my left side, and I had to throw a lefty sidearm upshot, staying close to the trees, but keeping a low ceiling (4 ft). I had 100-120ft to the basket which was slightly left past these row of 5-6 trees. I threw my Tee-Rex sidearm and it held a perfect straight low level line (no elevation rise), and then as it past the last tree on the left, it naturally started to hyzer left, dropping and skipping off the ground and landing center into the chains for a birdee. (Hole 19 Morley Field, San Diego, CA).

Another shot I had today, throwing slightly uphill (Hole 6, deep left, Morley Field), and I threw a super fast wrist-snap with the Tee-Rex, It held the line straight, then slightly turned a little right, and then pulled back hyzer skipping left at the basket.

I've aced on the disc and have had plenty of in&out chains, basket hits, poles, etc. I tend to want to use faster discs, Destroyer, Xcalibur, Boss, Flash, Surge, but in the end the Tee-Rex serves me justice. It is also a great backhand disc as well. I've even used it for headwind shots, and as long as I give it the quick snap straight line shot, it hyzers back on target most of the time.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968