www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

What is a good sidearm driver? Right now my main driver is a 173g Wildcat Elite Z that, on a good throw, goes 350+

Views: 25

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

depends on how fast you are throwing, and the conditions. I throw really stable to really understable discs, depending on the hole and the wind. i throw a z flick or star wraith into the wind for long straight hyzer fade at the end, but champ valks or other more understable discs with wind behind to do the same thing.
the boss is not the best disc for forehand distance, though, IMO.
Try the Raging Inferno. It's overstable to begin with, but when you get it beat in enough that you could turn it over if you wanted to, it's gold. In that 'worn in' type of condition it's still really fast, but has tons of glide too. The curved inner lip feels very comfortable when throwing sidearm as well (not one disc from Innova has this feature, not sure about Discraft...). I'm a sidearmer and it's my main driver; when the wind is calm that is.
Boss, Destroyer, Wraith, Surge, Xcaliber. I guess you could say I prefer the more stable discs for sidearm. Much more forgiving. Lots of D.
i throw a 166g wraith, works pretty good for most throws.
my friends use the following for sidearm and they work decently good.
star fl
star teerex
avenger ss
avenger
ESP Pulse, ESP Venom, Flick, Predator (shorter Range), Tracker.
I love my pulses for forehand drives.
Some other discs i use
Driver:
Avenger ss
Wildcat
Flick

Mids:
Nebula
Roc
Zone
Well if I am flicking left handed I will throw a Teerex or flash.

Righthanded I opt for a force or flick
I have always used a Whippet about 175g as a model for sidearm (or some disc with a similiar profile) - they take a little effort to break in but then fly in a very predictable fashion with an easily controlled turn for both drives and approaches. The beauty of this technique is that it gives you an always ready "anhyzer" in your bag.

If you can throw a Wildcat 350+ I would wonder why you are looking for a new disc? That seems like a good disc to have.
With little to no wind, a star SL will fly straight as an arrow with great glide. With a cross wind or head wind, I'm throwing a champion Starfire. It will hold a line and end with a little fade at the end.
I use FLX ESP Surge, or ESP Crush. and a FLX ESP Predator for those quick hyzers
Good tips from Chris and Ray here - the are using discs with which I am not familiar but they obviously understand the physics well. Sidearm is a different animal than backhand and requires a completely different approach on the tee or otherwise.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968