www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Sign the 2016 O L Y M P I C Disc Golf Petition

Let's show the International Olympic Committee that we are here and we want to get Disc Golf looked at to be included in the 2016 Summer Olympic Games. Click on http://www.petitiononline.com/discgolf/ ........... to sign the petition. Also cut and paste and send to all you email weblist disc golfing buds ........ it would be great to have 2000+ signatures from around the world. Even Barack endorses it!

Views: 7

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Everybody asleep out there?
Both the Mrs. and I signed the petiton, I mean if ping-pong can be a Olympic Sport, then Disc Golf should be a shoe-in. jmho.

B.J. (bogeyman) Ondo
Colorado Springs, CO.
I just signed the Petition !!!!! Please make this Happen !!!!! It's Good for the Sport , World Wide !!!!!
I've signed it, number 978, so nearly halfway there.
i have signed it that would be great if it was in the Olympics do you think there would be enough countries that would participate?
984 Come on guys lets get this going!!!!
While it's a nice effort, it's going to wind up a futile one. The IOC isn't going to pay attention to this petition no matter how many sign it. According to the IOC website, before a sport can become a full-fledged Olympic sport it has to be recognized. To be recognized, it needs an international governing body that deals directly with the IOC. So first things first, a petition to include disc golf in the Olympics has to come from some organizing body like the PDGA or WFDF, not an internet petition.

And once the sport is recognized by the IOC, it has to meet minimum requirements to be an official sport in an Olympiad. One such requirement is that it is played formally in 65% of participating countries. I'm pretty sure we aren't at that level yet, even as fast as the sport is growing. On top of that, one of the requirements of becoming an Olympic sport is strict adherence to the IOC's anti-doping rules and regulations. Let's be honest...is that something disc golf is ready for?

I really respect the efforts these folks are going to in an attempt to raise the profile of the sport, but I think this is something that is probably going to dead end before it gets very far. It would be great to see this type of enthusiasm and effort turned inwardly to try to improve and expand the existing promotional efforts (not to mention the overall tournament structure) instead. This sport could certainly use the enthusiasm directed in more fruitful directions.

Oh, and for the poster who mentioned ball golf getting into the Olympics...it was an Olympic event over a hundred years ago. It no longer is, obviously, but it is up for consideration for the 2016 games. The decision will be made next October. Actually, seven sports are up for consideration for two spots. Disc golf is not one of them. Which just lends more credence to the fact that disc golf has zero chance of being a part of the 2016 Games. Here's the article I found this info in.
Worthy cause! Just the idea of watching disc golf during the Olympic games thrills me!!
The thing about signing the petition is that it's a start .............. it's so the IOC will see there is a grassroots movement afoot that would love to have a new sport in .......... DISCUS like running a marathon is one of the very first OLYMPIC sports.......... it can be played anywhere in the world with just one disc and some land ......... amateurs can play it ...... wouldn't really even need pros ......... the game is totally intergrated throughout the world now as is the game of ULTIMATE ............ everybdy plays together and may the best man or woman win ........... each of us only have one lifetime to donate to worthy causes .......... what better than to give the world disc golf so every continent could enjoy it ..... if we just keep saying it can't be done then it won't ...... the push has to come from the grassroots .... not from above ........... why doesn't the pdga get on it .... if u are a pdga member put the petition online on their forum ... 3 or 4 thousand signatures should be possible ..... just to let them know we are here.

JC said:
While it's a nice effort, it's going to wind up a futile one. The IOC isn't going to pay attention to this petition no matter how many sign it. According to the IOC website, before a sport can become a full-fledged Olympic sport it has to be recognized. To be recognized, it needs an international governing body that deals directly with the IOC. So first things first, a petition to include disc golf in the Olympics has to come from some organizing body like the PDGA or WFDF, not an internet petition.

And once the sport is recognized by the IOC, it has to meet minimum requirements to be an official sport in an Olympiad. One such requirement is that it is played formally in 65% of participating countries. I'm pretty sure we aren't at that level yet, even as fast as the sport is growing. On top of that, one of the requirements of becoming an Olympic sport is strict adherence to the IOC's anti-doping rules and regulations. Let's be honest...is that something disc golf is ready for?

I really respect the efforts these folks are going to in an attempt to raise the profile of the sport, but I think this is something that is probably going to dead end before it gets very far. It would be great to see this type of enthusiasm and effort turned inwardly to try to improve and expand the existing promotional efforts (not to mention the overall tournament structure) instead. This sport could certainly use the enthusiasm directed in more fruitful directions.

Oh, and for the poster who mentioned ball golf getting into the Olympics...it was an Olympic event over a hundred years ago. It no longer is, obviously, but it is up for consideration for the 2016 games. The decision will be made next October. Actually, seven sports are up for consideration for two spots. Disc golf is not one of them. Which just lends more credence to the fact that disc golf has zero chance of being a part of the 2016 Games. Here's the article I found this info in.
disc golf would be a great sport for it there is great players out there
Of course I signed it, quit twisting my arm!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968