www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Here is how I like to keep my bag simple.

Putter - Inside Circle

This is one type of putter that I carry in multiples, usually not more than 2 in my bag. Of those putters, only one is used consistently, and all are thrown strictly within the circle.  This benefits me by limiting my disc selection, which raises my consistency within the circle.

Wedge  Longer jump putts / Shots outside 10m circle / Chip Shots

This is one disc carried in multiples up to 4.  Nothing more than a putter; keep it slow, controllable, and consistent.  A lot of wedge shots will be stand-still, chip shots around 150ft.  This is a difficult club in disc golf because, unlike in ball golf, putters are also used on the tee.  Ultimately, my wedge offers more control, accuracy, and consistency than any other disc on my bag.  I usually try to keep my wedge shots to a maximum of 200ft.

Irons - Control / Accuracy / Mid-range / All-Purpose

You will find a lot of different irons.  I Pick one that works for me and carry multiples up to 4 or 5 for all of the long iron shots.  By choosing an over-stable iron, it allows them to wear variously, and soon you will have a few that are no longer as stable; this replaces the need for different, under-stable irons of different molds.  It's always safe to swing the shortest club possible.  Irons do not skip as far and are easier to control over longer drivers.  Most iron shots range from 200 - 325 feet.

Hybrid Control / Accuracy / Fairway

It's simple.  Very similar to irons, hybrids provide control and accuracy - only hybrids have slightly sharper edges and are faster, which allows them to go farther.  Hybrids have smaller rims and are not distance drivers, they are the longest of all the irons capable of reaching 350 - 400 feet.  I carry a couple as they are very reliable and will more often correct itself over shorter irons.

Woods - Tee Shots / Control Distance / Max Distance

Woods consist of Fairway woods and Drivers.  These have wide rims and are meant to deliver the longest, fastest distance off the tee.  Fairway woods are a little slower and easier to control as distance drivers are much faster, more stable, and require more power.  I wouldn't recommend carrying more than 5 different drivers.

Here is what's in my bag

KC Aviar - (2) - Putting inside 10m circle
Magnet - (4) - Wedge to 7 iron
KC ROC - (4) - 7 iron - 3 iron
Leopard - (2) - Hybrid
Teebird - (2) - Hybrid
Beast - (2) - Fairway wood
Orc
- (2) - Fairway wood
Destroyer- (2) - Driver

I'd suggest carrying a Firebird, also.

Views: 906

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A cup of water isn't much, but if you keep filling it up and dumping it out you can move a lot of water. Pass on what you know, practice and learn some more and pass that on too. Good looking out brother.

Disc golfer: "hey man, want to try out disc golfing this saturday with me?"

Non-disc golfer: "You mean that poor man's golf for potheads? Jeez anyone that thinks patchouli oil masks the smell of their skank weed has to be high as a kite. At least with disc golf, you don't have people dressing like idiots, wearing kilts and quilted capri pants. Oh wait, I forgot that the adult hippy uniform is pretty ridiculous as well, although I guess 15 year old Grateful Dead tye dye does help with visibility in the woods."

Disc golfer: "Dang."

I like that. Next time I throw a spike hyzer I will use the term No. 2 scalpel leading edge dermal cut. It's got a certain ring to it. Maybe it will catch on...

Only if you're playing with a surgeon, but from what I understand they only play ball golf. :)

I wasn't insisting on changing the terms though. If we did that it wouldn't be disc golf anymore. Hyzers, anhyzers, turn-overs, spike - all would be left alone. The only thing I think needs to be changed is the way the golf discs are marketed. Everybody offering to sell discs is doing it in completely different ways. It justs needs to be more consistent on every level. Which is why I came up with this.

ummm...... I've been with you up to this point...... this system would be terrible for marketing discs. a nine iron for one player is......not a nine iron for a lot of other players.

Pick a nine iron that fits you.  It doesn't matter what nine iron other players throw.  

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968