www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Here is how I like to keep my bag simple.

Putter - Inside Circle

This is one type of putter that I carry in multiples, usually not more than 2 in my bag. Of those putters, only one is used consistently, and all are thrown strictly within the circle.  This benefits me by limiting my disc selection, which raises my consistency within the circle.

Wedge  Longer jump putts / Shots outside 10m circle / Chip Shots

This is one disc carried in multiples up to 4.  Nothing more than a putter; keep it slow, controllable, and consistent.  A lot of wedge shots will be stand-still, chip shots around 150ft.  This is a difficult club in disc golf because, unlike in ball golf, putters are also used on the tee.  Ultimately, my wedge offers more control, accuracy, and consistency than any other disc on my bag.  I usually try to keep my wedge shots to a maximum of 200ft.

Irons - Control / Accuracy / Mid-range / All-Purpose

You will find a lot of different irons.  I Pick one that works for me and carry multiples up to 4 or 5 for all of the long iron shots.  By choosing an over-stable iron, it allows them to wear variously, and soon you will have a few that are no longer as stable; this replaces the need for different, under-stable irons of different molds.  It's always safe to swing the shortest club possible.  Irons do not skip as far and are easier to control over longer drivers.  Most iron shots range from 200 - 325 feet.

Hybrid Control / Accuracy / Fairway

It's simple.  Very similar to irons, hybrids provide control and accuracy - only hybrids have slightly sharper edges and are faster, which allows them to go farther.  Hybrids have smaller rims and are not distance drivers, they are the longest of all the irons capable of reaching 350 - 400 feet.  I carry a couple as they are very reliable and will more often correct itself over shorter irons.

Woods - Tee Shots / Control Distance / Max Distance

Woods consist of Fairway woods and Drivers.  These have wide rims and are meant to deliver the longest, fastest distance off the tee.  Fairway woods are a little slower and easier to control as distance drivers are much faster, more stable, and require more power.  I wouldn't recommend carrying more than 5 different drivers.

Here is what's in my bag

KC Aviar - (2) - Putting inside 10m circle
Magnet - (4) - Wedge to 7 iron
KC ROC - (4) - 7 iron - 3 iron
Leopard - (2) - Hybrid
Teebird - (2) - Hybrid
Beast - (2) - Fairway wood
Orc
- (2) - Fairway wood
Destroyer- (2) - Driver

I'd suggest carrying a Firebird, also.

Views: 881

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Putter , Driver and Mid-Range. Just start with those and learn them well.

If it works, don't mess with it. I hit the basket yesterday on a shot that was maybe 150 feet out. I used a forehand and had to go around a tree so it was perfect for that. Unfortunately it didn't stay in but it was very close. The Banshee is great because it is predictable and very easy to control.

Damn, I was trying to reply to Andrew Sanders post. 

Agreed. If you can learn how to shape shots with three discs, you will be a much better discer for it. I am so glad that I broke my habit of buying every new disc there is. I am pretty much back to throwing the three discs I started with--KC Aviar, Buzzz, and Valk.

Nice. Me too. wizard, buzz, teebird, wraith. First run boss for wide open D. Putter, wedge, iron, hybrid, wood. I got Wood!

For me, I break down to four categories and then three subcategories.

Putt, Mids, Fairway, and Long range.

Then it breaks down to Overstable, stable, and understable.

Putter within fifty Feet ........................................ Ion soft

Putter 50 to 100 feet........................................... Banger

Mids

Overstable...................................................... Drone

Stable............................................................ Buzz

Understable...................................................... Meteor

Fairway

Overstable...................................................... Flick

Stable............................................................ Stalker

Understable..................................................... Xpress

Driver

Overstable...................................................... Nuke OS

Stable (Most verstile for me)................................. Nuke

Understable..................................................... Nuke SS

Yes, I have other discs that do other things.  But when I keep things simple and concentrate on basics,

that is what I have in my bag.

Because of the flight capabilities of a disc versus a ball struck by a club, disc golf really does need its own termanology. Trying to bridge the gap is just unecessary symantics, and it actually kind of takes away from the fun of LEARNING a new sport. Half the fun is buying crap, learning what it does, and what to call it.

Besides, I like the seperation from ball golfers. When they come play our sport, they have to learn on our terms.

Sorry I just don't see the need to muddle the waters anymore. There was a discussion not to long ago on stability and the diff levels of it. I meen it's pretty straight forward as it is...Drivers, Fairway drivers, Midrange, and putters. Having played both sports. I'm glad I don't have to worry about duck hooking a disc lol I don't think it can be done. However I do approach a course like my old ball golf days and that has made a huge diff.

Basically the difference is that while discs may have different ranges and speeds, they also have different initial flight plans. However hard you try, making a firebird fly in a straight line is going to be a helluva task. In the same vein, having your leopard fly anything like a firebird will be damn near impossible. 

I believe a standard bag for an advanced player should look something like this:

Putter
Mid
Possibly an overstable mid
Straight/control driver

Turnover Driver

Overstable control driver

Super overstable/utility/overhead driver

Max distance understable

Max Distance overstable

As discs beat in, there should be some overlap and redundancy. This will make sure that if you do happen to lose something in the middle of a round, there's always a backup for any given disc.

The false premise to start with is that those who start to play disc golf have actually played ball golf or know its terminology. While a small portion of new disc golfers have played ball golf (and I suspect the percentage has steadily dropped since the sport started), the majority of new disc golfers have only heard of ball golf or played it on computer (Tiger Woods) and have never played it outside on a course. So adapting the whole ball golf lexicon for disc golf would only make sense if we were on a wholesale raiding mission to convert ball golfers because our very survival depended on it. The reality is the term hyzer is no more confusing to learn for a new disc golfer than what a hook is to a new ball golfer. In fact, wouldn't it be cool if a ball golf announcer in the future actually slipped up and said Tiger's tee shot was hyzering.. uh, I mean hooking left. ;-)

Can you imagine, in the future, if disc golf was on television - the commentators saying things such as, "We have John Smith up to the first hole of the day, it looks like John's going to throw his Wahoo."  It just sounds so cheezy.

Not much different from the Big Bertha in ball golf or using a mashie.

But the point I'm tryin to make is that in ball golf it doesn't matter what it's called!! It's just a driver of a sort!! All 3-9 irons in ball golf aren't completely different in name, they are the same club 'set' of irons, which have different characteristics for adjusting your shot.

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968