www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Thinking of starting a singles league and was wondering what formats there are and what works well.

Do you use divisions or pools?

Handicaps?

Entry Fees and Payouts?

Any other thoughts as well...Thanks

Tags: league, singles

Views: 6

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Don't like handicaps. Just do an A Pool And a B Pool. If somebody wins the B Pool two or three times then they have to move up. Entry is $5 plus $1 to get into the Ace Pool. Payouts, well just make sure to reward the winner. I don't like to pay out too many. Probably pay out to the top 25%. Maybe 30%. Really depends on how many show up though. And if you have tags you can play for those as well.
Thanks - we do have bag tags and I was definitely thinking that would "piggyback" if we get this going.
$5 to play, $7 if not a ADGA (local club) member and we use discgolfscene.com to keep our averages to decide handicaps. Lowest score gets the payout and we usually pay out up to 3 places.
Our club does a handicap singles,$5 to play $1 to club,$1 to ace fund, payouts depend on # of players, usually top 3 plus best scratch round.
Handicapped Leagues allow all players of all abilities to play together fairly.
DiscgolfU can provide handicapping and help with merchandising.

http://www.discgolfunited.com/index.cfm
I don't like handicapping because I believe that I (or anyone else) should win based on my (their) game and not a formula. That is why we have two pools. Gives players of all abilities a chance to play and win. And it gives players a reason to get better. We have never had any problem getting people to show up and play either.
Ummmm, handicapping does exactly that, its based on my (their) game.

DG here isnt big enough to have different sections, Im about 7-10 strokes a round off the leaders, so tournaments are a pretty pointless exercise for me in terms of winning anything except the closest to the pin hole, so my prize opportunity comes down to one shot the entire day, would love a handicap prize, that if me (or someone else) shot their best round ever (i would probably still finish outside the top 3), at least you win something for your efforts.
If there are ten people then that is enough for different pools. We will run a B pool if we get two people. Winner takes all.

While I agree that it would be great to get awarded for effort, in the end this is a competitive sport where people get awarded for results. I have been told on many occasions that I should play B pool in league, but for me that would mean that I should try to just have an average round. I play A pool because I want to push myself to do my absolute best. If I don't win money then I know that at least I did my best. That is good enough for me. Besides I win in doubles sometimes anyway. My favorite format. For me the thrill of competition is what drives me.
eh I am a fan of having a nonpaying entry as well. That why people who are poor or that are out there for a good time can come out. We used to pay for our leagues and most people didnt like it. So now we all just have a meeting time and all you pay is a $1 for ace fund. For people that are wanting to win money they can place there own side bets.
Thanks for all of the input - I'm thinking of using pools but keeping the entry fee one or two dollars less than our local doubles.

Keep the ideas coming!
That is a great idea, but the problem we run into is that we have to pay the municipality for the use of the parks. This is because of the official leagues we run as well as the tourneys we sponsor. So, I think that it depends on the club's or organization's position with the city or local park management. Part of entry fees pay for this, pay out of the top 2 or 3 places, and part of it goes to the ace and birdie fund. We have a cap of $200 for both and that person gets paid if they hit an ace during the league round or the 5 random holes that get picked....if you birdie them, then you get the $$$. Nobody has ever hit an ace and the 5 holes to get $400 or less payout. That'd be nice for a paycheck though :D
I consider $5 money well spent. The $300 ace pool that I hit about three years ago paid for a lot of entries for quite some time.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968