www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

i know they make good solutions for wet slippery hands, but now that the snow is gone, my discs get WAY dusty from the dry ground and fine dirt. the fine dirt on my discs, even after i wipe them down good with a towel, are just as slippery as if they were wet. whats a good solution besides carrying a wet rag in my bag!?

Views: 8

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

how is hand sanitizer any different than a lil pine pitch? both foreign substances, right? both r gonna leave a residue.

JCthrills said:
Pine tar or anything similar is a strokeable offense, no foreign substances allowed on your hands/discs. I almost got stroked once when my disc had pine tar on it... after it hit a pine tree a couple holes back. A good hand sanitizer seems to work good for me, the alcohol content is pretty high so it cleans your hands good & the rest evaporates & leaves a hand clean & ready for a good grip. Shammy off that disc too :)
and how can the pdga approve the use of a synthetic spary (what mark uses) and call natural pine rosin a foreign substance? thats assinine. I'll use my rosin when i need it and when i get stroked i'll rasise a stink.

Chuck care to enlighten us a little? is it a TD's call?
You are fine as long as it does not change the flight, weight, or add thinkness of the disc. If someone threatens to call a stroke penalty then just tell them to look up the FAQ under grip addatives.

Question: Is it legal to use stuff on one's hands in order to obtain a better grip on the disc?

Response: Applicable Rules: 802.01 Disc Used in Play, 802.04 Artificial Devices

Many players have long used substances in order to obtain a better grip. Some examples of grip additives/grip aids are: dirt, juice from oranges, rosin bags, birdie bags, talc, sawdust, gorilla grip, pine tar, firm grip, Pow'r-tac, etc. Some are marketed specifically for disc golf and some are marketed for other sports.

Conclusion: The PDGA Rules Committee has discussed these issues. We also solicited the input of the PDGA Technical Standards Committee Chairman. It is our opinion that the use of grip aids is generally acceptable since nothing in the rules specifically prohibits their use.

Other comments: We believe that anything that can help a player secure a better grip would lead to safer play, particularly since we often play in conditions that are cold and/or wet. The rules of most sports allow for grip additives (golf, tennis, basketball, bowling and baseball, for example), thus we see them as a generally accepted part of competitive sports.

The only problem that we foresee is if the substance used ( as with the grippier additives like pine tar or Pow'r-tac, etc.) winds up adding thickness or weight to the disc (generally through repeated use and build up, both of the additive and other substances which might stick to the additives). Of course, the player can manage this by periodically cleaning off the discs when build up appears. If a competitor thinks that additives are adding weight and thus affecting the legality of the disc, that player has the right to have the TD inspect the disc and make the final determination of the legality of the disc in question.

Using pine sap would only get you penalized if during your round you intentionally removed bark from a tree in order to use it (destruction of the course).

da "kingpin" said:
and how can the pdga approve the use of a synthetic spary (what mark uses) and call natural pine rosin a foreign substance? thats assinine. I'll use my rosin when i need it and when i get stroked i'll rasise a stink.

Chuck care to enlighten us a little? is it a TD's call?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968