www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Today I was lucky enough to have a nice 77 degrees w/ not much wind at all. I'm curious of what kind of weather other people are bearing just to get there fix in.

Views: 6

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

22 with about 10 inches of snow
40 when I started in the morning and 55 when I finished around 1pm.
Brandon Swanson remarked,
The real question is Mark, have you ever played in snow shoes or back-country skis? Until then, you are not a true northern golfer in my mind. Oh course, I jest.

I've never been a winter golfer because I haven't enjoyed it much. This year I took some of your tips from an earlier thread and enjoyed two rounds of relatively fun winter golf. Then I threw my CFR destroyer across a river on the course. I was going to go the LONG, LONG way around to get it when the guy I was golfing with said, "Hey, there's a log right over here!" You know where this is going, but I'm going to tell you what happened anyway. We thought the water mostly frozen, but... the log was a bit slick and I slipped and one leg went through up to the groin. It was 5 degrees. The river is only 4 feet deep, so the worst part wasn't the cold (and yes, I finished the round...this happened on 17). The worst part was the stench of the river muck. I didn't think it would smell in winter...I was wrong. I think the foul odor gets trapped under the ice and concentrates...I'd rather get sprayed by a skunk than go into that again.

So that said, I'd ended another year of winter golf early. I'll give it a try next year and then I'll be the guy that says..."yeah, sure, I think it's frozen..." :-)

*()#$%^&*()_+_)(*&^#@#*()_+_)(*&^%$#@#$%^&*(*&^%$#@#$%^&*(*&^%$#$

Dang Brandon,

Maybe next winter, if you can somehow avoid swimming in the river muck, you could extend your seasonal play to four rounds. It may seem like a lot but you need to set your sites high.

As you might miss the odor of the river muck, you could take your freshly anointed pants and boots and wrap them in plastic wrap now so the smell could age and mature and perhaps become more robust. If the aroma fades from sneaking too many wiffs over the summer and fall months then perhaps a bit of mist and warmth might revive it. If that doesn't work then I strongly suggest letting chicken fat rot in a plastic bag for a couple weeks, then soak a towel in a quart of dog piss and put the whole mixture along with your pants and boots in your clothes dryer on medium heat for about 10 minutes.

Of course, I jest. You would never fall for that. Not while there is a slippery log on top of a half frozen lake full of vile muck which is evidently more alluring.
Tampa Bay, FL. mid 70's, a little fog this morning, grass was pretty wet from dew. a great day to play, but i was real off my game, and lost 2 discs in the water.
Geeze Mark, I think I just threw up a little in my mouth. That description really creates a sense of that smell.

mark ellis said:
Dang Brandon,

Maybe next winter, if you can somehow avoid swimming in the river muck, you could extend your seasonal play to four rounds. It may seem like a lot but you need to set your sites high.

As you might miss the odor of the river muck, you could take your freshly anointed pants and boots and wrap them in plastic wrap now so the smell could age and mature and perhaps become more robust. If the aroma fades from sneaking too many wiffs over the summer and fall months then perhaps a bit of mist and warmth might revive it. If that doesn't work then I strongly suggest letting chicken fat rot in a plastic bag for a couple weeks, then soak a towel in a quart of dog piss and put the whole mixture along with your pants and boots in your clothes dryer on medium heat for about 10 minutes.

Of course, I jest. You would never fall for that. Not while there is a slippery log on top of a half frozen lake full of vile muck which is evidently more alluring.
89 and perfect. Elysian Park downtown LA.
38 degrees and windy.
I think it was around 75 degrees today. Only 14 players showed up for the handicap round. I think that has alot to do with the economy. Not enough money to go around. But I see most have money for beer and cigs. Some did'nt play because their favorite football team was playing today. No one hit an ace and birdies were far and few in between. Later
1-10-2009. It was under 20 degrees with a pretty good wind. I played two rounds of 18 and played like it was too cold to be playing
68 - I did not get out in the frezzing rain and snow yesterday
Nc was 56 yesterday, I was in shorts and two shirts but it was a nice day.
Yes, Mark, it is incredible how you capture the true essence of that smell. I too had a reflex to wretch when I read your all too descriptive words. It was like I was there again struggling to escape that semi-frozen quagmire again while my friends esclaimed "Oh S%&$!" and barely suppressed their giggles as my life flashed before my eyes.

And it wasn't because of any real danger, that's simply the feeling that comes over you when you stir up the river much and that putrid air invades your nostrils and makes you think that you'll never be happy again. (Credit JK Rowling for that description of the "Muck Effect" on your psyche)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968