www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

my friend peter parked a great shot across wailoa river , on the way his disc skiped twice on the water then parked about 2 feet from hole # 10 . are there any special disc molds for this kind of action ?

Views: 27

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

All of mine. I skip throwing it near the water, so in theroy it works 100% of the time.
I know it sounds weird, Brandon, but skipping one off the surface of water is more likely to produce the desired skip than on land. On land, there's the major crap factor...sticks, rocks, roots, depressions, soft dirt, mole tunnels, etc. Water is smooth and consistent......so with a low trajectory skip shot angle....it will work more consistently than on land. Of course if you lead the leading edge down or throw with too much spike angle...your peeing in the wind and will get wet. It's all about the angle of the dangle, some balls and the right disc for an intended skip shot. I wouldn't recommend using anything but a stable driver...big rimmed discs skip great.
yes i believe he was using a valkerie .
Big rimmed drivers work best but its more about the throw than the disc. What makes it work is a low angle of incidence (the more parallel to the surface of the water the better), spin, and forward motion; the same as skipping a stone on water. Spinning objects retain their orientation very well, they actually react to outside forces at ninety-degree angles which is why discs skip mostly to the side instead of forward. This is also why discs "fade" or hyzer-out in the air too, instead of just falling in a straight line.
So anyway, skipping a disc isn't that hard if you keep the angle low with lots of spin and good amount of forward speed. The harder part is skipping the disc in the right place, but it is fun. Find a safe place and give it a try. As mentioned above you do have to force yourself to committ to the shot which makes it even better when it works!

Oh...as far as specific discs go, I most often skip forehand with a Flick. Hole 1 at cmu, 270' forehand with the basket fairly close to the waterline, one of the only reasons I come back to that course (and its less than a mile from my house).
As mentioned already by Sean P,your lid is upside down.Hating any water throws,perhaps the Hydra??
When I play in the winter, the hard ground and/or ice gives me lots of practice on disc selection for controlled skip shots. I enjoy trying it, just for fun, but it's also been a valuable tool for me in certain situations, like low-ceiling doglegs. For me, Orcs seem to be great for controlled skips early in flight, and Beasts take big skips at the end of longer drives too. Doubt I would take the risk of intentionally skipping one on a river though.
I believe it. I'll just never try it... in a tourney or league round that is.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968