www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

So I'm still riding the fence on these new uber fast wide rimmed discs....(Nuke, Katana,Boss). However there is another possitive, well maybe, that I noticed while practicing the other day. I seem to have better control and distance with my "older" drivers (Valkyrie, Orc, Sidewinder, and Teerex).

So I was wondering if anyone else has noticed a change as well? Maybe it's just a natual progression in abillity, but I don't think so. Heck I even put my Groove (no pun intended, but go ahead Jamie have at it ;) back in my bag, because it was smok'in my Nuke, Boss, and Katana.

So I'd be interested if anyone else has noticed any changes as well.

Thanks and Peace!

Views: 1

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Put the Groove back in the bag???? .....That's What She Said !!!
I have to agree with ya, I started throwing katana's on every whole then after destroying one (hyzer spike to roadway) and throwing the other into a pond i swiched back to my wraiths and got crazy good with them out of nowhere. but I still use the nuke for big drives and the katans's for those tight window drives. I found the katana will fly very flat and streight if i throw it at 70% power. So katana stays in bag until I learn to ever throw a midrange...
I too noticed this last year when throwing my Valkyries. I can now get a wicked awesome snap on them and the accuracy has improved.

It could be that the wide rimmed drivers are forcing players to learn to throw with better nose control. In addition - learning to grip the extra wide rims may make it easier to get a better grip when switching back to the smaller rimmed drivers.
thats wierd, all of my control drives i use high speed drivers (groove, Boss, nuke, Katana, MAX, but i rarely use drivers that are below speed 11-13+ so yeah.....but that's me.
Yeah, me too. I can throw Rocs well for long ups, and/or Aviars for shorter drives, so I need the most distance out of my drivers. So Speed 13 for me too! Pro Boss, ESP Nuke, and Star Katanas!
Perhaps you just know the older discs better. I can just hear the old timers saying the same thing when discs like the Teebird came out at least at first.
I'm all for the new stuff. I think my plastic addiction is well known on this site ;) I was just suprised of the improvement of distance and accuracy with the old molds. Since I've been attempting to throw the wider rimmed/higher speed discs over the past few months I really haven't thrown my other dirvers (Orc, Valk, Sidewinder..) for a while. But when I broke them out for some practice, I was suprised by the added "D" and accuracy. Seems like others have experienced the same thing. I will never be one of those "why, in my day.." types. It's just not in me, yet :)
I've stepped away from most of the high speed drivers myself. The vast majority of my shots are made with my fairway drivers and mid range discs. I think this is because I've developed enough power and control to reach most holes with these discs. I throw a Star Destroyer in the wind or for hyzer shots, but it doesn't come out of the bag much. That said, my Pro Destroyer is much more understable and it just flips up and rides for days. With a good skip, I can almost reach 400' on a regular basis. I'm capable of doing that with some of the other fast drivers like the Nuke, Champ/Star Destroyers, or Force, but it's pretty rare and I usually end up losing control in most cases.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968