www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

After joining the PDGA and SoCal Disc Golf Association (actually, I'm still waiting to hear if they've received my information) I've been making mental notes of all the tournaments I would like to enter. Some of them close and some of them far. My list was getting long and that's when I started thinking about the money it costs to enter each one. 

I'm wondering, has anyone ever tried to work out some sort of sponsorship with a local (non-disc golf) establishment to help pay the entry fees? If so, how did you entice them? Wear their t-shirt in tournaments, or something? 

Just curious. 

Views: 3

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have been thinking about this whole thing. What about NASCAR shirt.

What if you tried having screened shirt or two. You could have 8 spots maybe a few more.

Places to try local eateries and a local sports medicene guy and maybe a hospital. I came up with 20 places in 4 minutes.

Now I wonder how much you could raise may $1500
One of the pros that we sponsor is also sponsored by two other non disc golf business, one of them is an insurance company that gives him a huge break on his insurance, the other is a cool little sandwich/sub place that I'm sure gives him discounted or free food. I know other disc golfers that receive breaks in lodging from hotel chains that sponsor them, as well as some that are offered travel stipends from larger company. Others still are given things like apparel or produces in mass quantity that they then sell to help cover their expenses. A lot of sponsors wont directly give you money but will often part with apparel, disc, bags, food, lodging or other items that can be used or sold to help keep your investment cost in a tournament lower. Speaking from the point of view of a business remember that they're not only looking for performance results but ex poser, you are an advertising write off once you are sponsored. You want to show the business that you are soliciting that you will bring a new clientele to them, for example if you approach an insurance company it doesn't do them much good advertising wise if your playing every tournament 100's of miles away from their office, so think your approach through before trying to negotiate a mutually beneficial agreement. Also be open to let them offer things other than what you have asked for, it may not be a big payout at first but its a foot in the door and could pay off latter. One last thing, remember that the company is investing in you so try to set up a meeting in person and not over the phone (I would never sponsor a player without meeting them first). Also remember that any thing you do will reflect on their business and their image is riding on how other see you, so keep in mind that if they are familiar with some of the antics that other disc golfers engage in you may have to break down that stereotype. Last thing, don't hesitate to ask other pro players for advice on what to ask for, not every one makes cash on a sponsorship deal. I know several top pro's who only receive products from their sponsorship, and each one would probably be happy to tell you how they landed their deal.

Good luck!!
Scott
Red Line Disc Golf & Apparel

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968