www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I had a grip lock drive in a well known park in Tulsa OK. I was seeing the disc honing in on a mexican that was grilling some food. I started to yell *HEADS UP* and *FOUR!!!!!* but he did not move one inch. So the disc hit him smack dab on the shoulder blade...*ouch* He did seem a little confussed on why I hit him for no reason. So im my limited spanish I said sorry and he was kind enough to toss my tee-rex back on the right side of the creek. Im just glad he didnt decide to grill my disc. ( if anyone has a better story than that feel free to share)

Views: 4

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

One of our nearby courses (central park) has many holes that are below normal level and have walking paths that border the course on the second level.

On one hole I threw my beast and hyzer fliped it over the left side of this wall/levy thing that the walking path is on top of (i throw sidearm). Because that second level walking path is about 15 ft above the course its very hard to see people in the distance. Once my disc went out of view I saw it appear suddenly about 200 ft in front of me... It had struck a lady square in the back of the head. She was livid and just couldnt understand that below that 15 ft wall or levy of dirt i couldnt see her.

What makes this a great story is that i thanked her for knocking the disc back into play.
Wow, your eyesight must be really good to be able to discern this man's nationality from so far away. Myself I might have guessed he was an American, or perhaps El Salvadoran, or Argentinian even. I guess you figured it out when he started speaking "Mexican" though, huh?
sorry if I offended you Matt B. Thank you for pointing out there are different nationalities other than Americans and mexicans. next time i'll say "non-white guy" or "the American that can not speak english" maybe thats better huh...

Matt B. said:
Wow, your eyesight must be really good to be able to discern this man's nationality from so far away. Myself I might have guessed he was an American, or perhaps El Salvadoran, or Argentinian even. I guess you figured it out when he started speaking "Mexican" though, huh?
I was throwing a blind anhyzer on a course, I didn't see anyone,my view was blocked by a hill, and when I came around the corner,there he was, the kid I hit in the leg,on the ground crying. His dad and grandfather where standing over him. I had a nice conversation with them, tossed the kid a crystal buzz for his trouble,just as he looked away... His face stopped that one.
Years ago, while playing the old layout at Veterans Park in Arlington, Tx. I threw what looked to be a very good drive. It barely caught the underside of a lower branch on the top of the flight plate, just enough to redirect it adding to it's normal hyzer flight. Off of the left side of the fareway was a family just setting up for a picnic, to which grandma was walking around looking at stuff on the ground. You know what happens next, my Cyclone clips her in the forehead, just above her left eye, knocking her to the ground. I dropped everything and ran as fast as I could to her and told her not to try and get up. Although it was about a hundred and fifty feet from the teebox, it still left a mark without, thankfully, breaking skin. Her family saw what was taking place and rushed over to asked what happened. I tried to explain that it was an accident and offered any help I could. They refused and left before we got to the next teebox. The rest of my round really blew.
From that day on, I always yell before I drive and make sure I get some kind of eye contact, even though it doesn't always seem to register with pedestrians. I've never hit anyone else so it works better than just throwing without warning.
We must remember we're not the only park users and try to avoid unfortunate incidents like mine.
Maybe not an innocent by-stander but close...

We were playing a short par three and on the tail of a rather large group that mid-hole, while searching for a lost one, decided that we could play through. The hole was full of trees and most of the group did their best to use the nearest tree for possible cover. There were a couple that decided to take their chances out in the open and offered some encouragement to go ahead and throw. I picked my line and right as I released the disc I could tell that this was going bad... Straight for one of the girls that was in the open. I could tell that see saw it, I yelled, people in here group saw what was happening; I could see the terror in her face as my SHARK headed for what could have been an easily avoided shot to the upper torso. It was like a deer in the head lights...

I saved par... Through the grimace and almost crying.. I tried to get as far as I could into the coarse before erupting into laughter.
I havn't hit anyone....but I sure seen some good ones. A buddy mine let one rip one day and nailed a Motorcycle Cop....nothing gets your heart pounding like watching a disc zero-in on a Cop!!!! Even if you didn't throw it. LOL!!!

Another Friend had one sky hyzer into a woman eating french fries...if she hadn't been shoveling them in at the time she probably would have caught it right in the throat...all we seen was the fries a flying ....and figured she was dead!!! She was ok and not that upset as I recall.

Seen another go into a open side rear window of a passing car off the tee....dude stopped got the disc, threw it back...laughed and said nice shot!!!

What we normally do if the folks are unaware and oblivious is have someone go and stand by them to block any errant shots.
In the last week I have hit a samll dog with a smoking roller at about 450ft, just as they crossed the street coming into the park. Yesterday, I hit a goose. threw a low straight line and they all started to fly, damn that killed a great shot. Have seen discs go in the back of trucks, knock out tail lights during night golf, break wind shields, stick in grills and even kill a squirrel. It never ceases to amaze me.
In the early 80's I was teeing off hole 6 at River Parks (are they rebuilding that?) and totally by accident drilled this cat in the back of the head with a 198 Phantom. It knocked that dude out cold. He was out for about 2 minutes and after he shook it off he was appologetic because he admitted that he ran out in front of me.
Next time yell QUATRO!!!!!! AMIGO!!!!!!

I started tossing @ River Parks in 1979. I flew out for a tourney @ Chandler a few months ago. I crossed paths with 8 Water Moccasins while playing Black Hawk. That is one of the nicest courses I have played in the country.
I believe they call that a Spanish ace.
Nascar Dave said:
Years ago, while playing the old layout at Veterans Park in Arlington, Tx. I threw what looked to be a very good drive. It barely caught the underside of a lower branch on the top of the flight plate, just enough to redirect it adding to it's normal hyzer flight. Off of the left side of the fareway was a family just setting up for a picnic, to which grandma was walking around looking at stuff on the ground. You know what happens next, my Cyclone clips her in the forehead, just above her left eye, knocking her to the ground. I dropped everything and ran as fast as I could to her and told her not to try and get up. Although it was about a hundred and fifty feet from the teebox, it still left a mark without, thankfully, breaking skin. Her family saw what was taking place and rushed over to asked what happened. I tried to explain that it was an accident and offered any help I could. They refused and left before we got to the next teebox. The rest of my round really blew.
From that day on, I always yell before I drive and make sure I get some kind of eye contact, even though it doesn't always seem to register with pedestrians. I've never hit anyone else so it works better than just throwing without warning.
We must remember we're not the only park users and try to avoid unfortunate incidents like mine.

agree 100%

the only person Ive ever hit was at the vet as well.
it was on Earth day back in 90 or 91 or 92 maybe? in the old layout. I threw a crush drive up hole 1 which used to go uphill towards where the two main covered areas are and there was just way too many people at the park that day.

I yelled 'FORE' as it drifted towards a group and luckily it hit a tree and bounced before it hit a little girl scout in the forehead.

didn't leave a mark and just scared her more than anything and thankfully the parents around understood the situation.

I guess I'm glad they changed the layout to make it more people friendly but I sure do miss shooting over the pavillion and the pond.

We do need to remember we aren't the only ones enjoying the park sometimes, and hold our annoyance in check IMHO.
damn.. some of these stories sound hilarious when you tell them but I'm sure the day I get smacked by a 175g I'll be saying something else. Things happen but it always makes me pucker a little bit when you see people walking the disc golf park or people that you can tell that have no clue what in the hell are all those funky chain barbeque'rs are out there...( I heard that from someone else on here) I'll try and wave my day-glo toward them to get there attention. I had a disc do a nasty skip and the dude did a Matrix style move to dodge it. I did yell "FORE!!' in time ..but DAMN was it a "feeling the breeze of it" close.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968