www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Hey there folks!
I've been playing pretty pretty seriously for about 2 years now, and I really feel like my game is leveling off. I'm really missing the days when i could see little improvements every time I played. I can drive about 300 ft. and my putting is pretty good, my mid-range shots are so-so. I've brought my average from a +11 down to a +2/+3 but I can't seem to get over that hump. Maybe 4 out of ten drives tend to go a little wild and my mid-range skill isn't consistent enough to get me out of the bushes with a good approach. Bogeys are killing me and Birdies are few and far between. The best thing that ever happened to my game was finding an awesome mentor, but, alas, he's moved his silly ass to the other side of the country. Anyone have some awesome practice tips for improving consistency while I seek a new teacher?

In case it matters, my go-to discs are: Millennium JLS 174g , Valkyrie 175, Wraith 175g for sidearms & Roc 177g

Views: 8

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for the detailed and awesome advice Brandon, I'll definitely work on that I've even got a Comet in my truck that I'll put back in my bag :)
Play for par and take birdies when they come. Just as in ball golf the mental aspect of the game plays a very important role. One bad shot does not make a bad round. Good players make bad shots. They just recover from them. Everyone makes bogeys. Good players just make less bogeys. Game management is key.
One thing that I like to do to get outta a rut is to change the way I play the holes... example. Our local club has a Weds evening tourny but they "shorten" all the holes (exept the really short ones). We push the tee area up by 25-100ft and either left or right to get a different angle to the basket.

This makes the rounds go by super fast, I only really need 3-4 discs and it really works on your upshots/ mid game. Plus on the regular tees I shoot +7... on the "shorts" -3... it's very fun and makes it a "stress free" disc golf round. It's cool to see Rec./ Interm. players shooting that well (even if it's not offical). Newbies love it and so do the girls...

Just an idea... but Keep discin'!
Try to play other courses. Go to a open field and practice a varity of shots.
Great comments, Brandon. Sounds like you know what you're doing.
Today I played a round using only midranges for initial drives. I'll do the putter thing next.
I played a full eighteen after work today, and loved throwing my new champ aviar, and got some nice results from the re-emergence of my comet too. Thanks for all the advice folks, I'll keep making those chains rattle.
I agree with this whole heartedly as I received the same advice from a pro that came up here for the state championship last year. I've noticed a big difference in my game and form. Nothing like seeing how bad your form is when you can't throw a putter 250+. If you can get down throwing a putter straight at that distance or longer it'll transfer to the drivers and you'll be able to throw them farther with more control.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968