www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I might be missing the boat on this one,but how is slowing the game of disc golf down with these "LESSER DISCS" supposed to do anything but slow the game ,and its growth down. What a waste of energy this is for the P.D.G.A. Maybe there should be an L.D.G.A. (LESSER DISC GOLF ASSOCIATION). Then maybe we could get a free subscription to LESSERMAN comic books with our membership. But then again, some people say that less can be more in some scenarios. But in my opinion, in this case, less is just plain old less. Another example of the P.D.G.A.'s "extra wide lipped "cutting edge approach. SLOOOooow and too careful. LONG LIVE DISC GOLF!!!

Views: 8

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What I don't like about recent trends in disc golf is the same thing that soured me on ball-golf about 10-15 years ago. A disproportionate emphasis on the big, BOOMING drives...not enough emphasis on precision and placement. By precision and placement, I mean having to hit windows (left/right/up/down) versus essentially launching it long. Seems like a ton of Intermediates (like me) that I encounter out on the courses at tournaments can drive it a mile...but their short games are horrible. Why do folks think that is?

What I REALLY don't like is when course design mirrors that unfortunate trend. Infinite flight paths can be chosen...as long as you are LONG. What ever happened to all those awesome tunnel shots, or having to fire it no higher than 25-30 feet off the ground to get under that HUGE canopy 50 feet down the fairway? That's the shots that make disc golf SO fun/special (to me).

I think Super Class can bring some of that emphasis on the short game and precision back. As for the earlier comment about bigger discs = easier to control, my experience so far has been the exact opposite. If I miss my release point with a SC disc by even an inch or two (or a fraction of a second), you can hear the audible "Quack, quack, quack!" (wounded duck) coming off the disc as it goes embarrassingly short or offline, LOL. Tough to throw...but very rewarding when you get a good one out there...as you know it was a REALLY good throw (not just the disc). ;-)
I think that's cause most Men (I know there are women in the sport too, but lets face it, you hardly see them so it's mainly guys mind set). That bigger is better, men's mentally on I have to have a bigger truck, a bigger gun, a faster car, so people focus on they're drives more then they do they're short game.

I love the big drives the most I won't lie. BUT my short game is what I'm good at and saves my games. Like my friend that showed me this great game said "It's your 2nd shot that makes or breaks your game". Could make the difference of Birdie/par to bogey or double bogey.

That was my comment on the bigger discs= easier to throw, you summed it up quite shortly to your own conclusion. It's fact and science, the wider is easier to throw straight or control, why almost all midranges are a bit wider then driver to give more control to go straight. It's not going to go in the basket easier. It's like putting a dime or a nickel in a quarter coin hole, of course the smaller will fit easier.
Derek Tonn said:
What I don't like about recent trends in disc golf is the same thing that soured me on ball-golf about 10-15 years ago. A disproportionate emphasis on the big, BOOMING drives...not enough emphasis on precision and placement. By precision and placement, I mean having to hit windows (left/right/up/down) versus essentially launching it long. Seems like a ton of Intermediates (like me) that I encounter out on the courses at tournaments can drive it a mile...but their short games are horrible. Why do folks think that is?

What I REALLY don't like is when course design mirrors that unfortunate trend. Infinite flight paths can be chosen...as long as you are LONG. What ever happened to all those awesome tunnel shots, or having to fire it no higher than 25-30 feet off the ground to get under that HUGE canopy 50 feet down the fairway? That's the shots that make disc golf SO fun/special (to me).

I think Super Class can bring some of that emphasis on the short game and precision back. As for the earlier comment about bigger discs = easier to control, my experience so far has been the exact opposite. If I miss my release point with a SC disc by even an inch or two (or a fraction of a second), you can hear the audible "Quack, quack, quack!" (wounded duck) coming off the disc as it goes embarrassingly short or offline, LOL. Tough to throw...but very rewarding when you get a good one out there...as you know it was a REALLY good throw (not just the disc). ;-)
The thing is, you can still have a longer drive than the others in your group with Super Class discs. It's all relative. Many people can outdrive the longest disc throwers with an Aerobie. And yet this disc was outlawed because it ruined the balance in the game.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968