www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Does anyone here throw a Surge SS? I have started using one and I absolutely love it. However, I keep hearing that it is a beginner disc. To me, it gets great distance and stability. I can't see why anyone, pro or beginner wouldn't have a use for one.

Any thoughts on this disc?

by the way...if you'd like to see it...i did a review on my blog

Thanks,
Ron

Tags: Discraft, SS, Surge

Views: 886

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This disc went in my bag after the first throw (yellow 173 Z SS). With the right wind & flip, it goes farther than my boss. A total keeper.
I've only thrown mine 1 round so far, but I loved the control.
i throw an Avenger SS and love it, so when it dies the Surge SS will probably be the replacement
I have a Z version and the FLX version. They are not the same. I can throw the flx as long and straight as any disc I've ever thrown. The Z not quite as good.
Great disc. Replaced the FLIPPY Monarch.
1. Good sidearm disc
2. Good anhyzer disc
3. Great for players with less power!
I've been thinking of buying one myself and can't wait throw one consistently. My friend has one that I've thrown a few times and seems to treat me well. I have a Surge with the patent pending thumb grip 1.7 overstable and I love that one for distance.
You say it works great for you... so what would it matter if it's a beginner's disc. Whatever works for you. that's all that counts.
I throw a Rogue which is very similar to a Surge SS. Both are understable, long flying drivers. They are both "beginner discs." I've been playing 30 years. I've had a few 1000 rated rounds throwing the Rogue and I've won two State Championships. You gotta get over what other people think and go with what works for you.
The Surge SS is a great disc. I love it in Z plastic. It is very similar to a Rogue and I carry both in the bag and use them for long range anhyzer shots. Like all big rimmed drivers they vary a bit from run to run but all the versions are useful. The most recent runs of Z Surge SS are the most stable of the runs (and I carry one of those). A couple years back there was a run of Rogues which were the most flippy of the runs and I also carry one of those.

Being a forehander, my drive comes off my fingers with flutter ( that off axis wobble which makes it look like a wounded duck at the start of its flight path). Some discs can't overcome the flutter and just flip out of control (like an Avenger SS) and never flatten out and fly. The Surge SS and Rogue handle the flutter no problem which means they can be thrown by big arm players.

The Rogue/Surge SS have exceptional glide. Thrown smooth and flat they go a long way on little effort. Depending on the power of the player throwing the disc, it might hyzer, go straight or anhyzer at the end of its flight. It doesn't really matter since it will consistently repeat that flight.
My flx surge ss is great, one of the MOST comfortable discs that i have, fits well in my hand (flx surges seem to be nice and flat). it is dependable, and accurate. a little stable right out of the box, but breaks in nicely. Not the fastest disc in my bag, but at 300' of power w/ a flip up to flat it is money. If I want to throw long I throw a wraith, boss, or the old mold beast, depending on the wind.
I have a dozen Z Surge SSs left in my End of Summer Blowout Sale and one FLX.

172 FLX Surge SS Orange Cmax IOS 2008 Discraft S-T
164 Z Surge SS red 2009 Crystal Cruise Discraft S-T
165 Z Surge SS red 2009 Crystal Cruise Discraft S-T
167 Z Surge SS orange 2009 Crystal Cruise Discraft S-T
167 Z Surge SS orange 2009 Crystal Cruise Discraft S-T
168 Z Surge SS orange 2009 Crystal Cruise Discraft S-T
173 Z Surge SS orange 2009 Crystal Cruise Discraft S-T
173 Z Surge SS orange 2009 Crystal Cruise Discraft S-T
173 Z Surge SS blue 2009 Crystal Cruise Discraft S-T
173 Z Surge SS blue 2009 Crystal Cruise Discraft S-T
174 Z Surge SS orange 2009 Crystal Cruise Discraft S-T
174 Z Surge SS orange 2009 Crystal Cruise Discraft S-T

Go here for details: http://discontinuum.org/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&...

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968