www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I have a few questions for PDGA members with ratings:

Where you live and play tournaments, are you aware of any players who DNF a bad round or intentionally tank a bad round in order to protect their rating? 

If you are aware of such conduct, would it be by the player's own admission or by reputation or suspicion?

Where you live and play tournaments do you think PDGA members are generally aware that it is against the rules for a player to DNF a bad round or intentionally tank a bad round in order to protect his rating, and that the rule violation may be considered for further discipline by the Disciplinary Committee, if reported by the TD?  Do you think your TDs know this?

The PDGA Competition Committee was discussing this topic and I was curious if this was widespread or more common in some areas.  I have not heard of players doing this in Michigan.  I used to know of a player who did this in Illinois but he seems to have quit playing tournaments.  I am curious if most players who would do this are also the kind of players who will soon quit playing tournaments because they just are not having fun. 

Tags: 3.3, DNF, rules, tank

Views: 355

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Bruce I have heard of this on one occasion at a Michigan Event. Michigan Am Open a guy walked off the course because he said it wasn't worth hurting his rating.

I feel that if you DNF , you should be banned from PDGA tournaments for a year.

I have been playing Disc Golf tournaments since 1976 and have NEVER DNF'd.

I have no respect for ANYONE who DNF's because of BAD play.  I can understand Injury , Wife giving Birth , Car Accident.

I know someone who quit with 1 hole to finish he said out loud he didn't want to ruin his rating..this was the Party at The Ponds 2010 I believe my card round 2 look him up he's the kind of person you'd expect to do that.

Seen top pros do it..... sad sad sad....

don't they eliminate the worst and best rounds anyway? If not they should.

Who cares if someone quits for whatever reason. They don't gain anything with a better rating, they just gain a reputation as a quitter. To me thats just one higher place I will finish. This subject comes up over and over here and other forums and I'm getting sick of reading about it.

I don't see it as a big issue.  As others have said, there's not much value in a rating.  The biggest issue to me is if a player quits between rounds without notifying the TD, or during a round leaving a twosome.

It would be hard to rule on whether someone tanked or DNF'd to protect their rating, or from injury or other legitimate reasons, unless they confess.  Who wants to be judge & jury on medical and personal issues?

Bruce - I had two DNF this year to protect their rating. It stands out when the score card comes in with just their last hole missing a score. I don't know if these players are aware that this gets reported to the PDGA on the TD report.

I don't know of anyone in PDGA play that has intentionally tanked to protect their rating, but there are a number of times where I've seen/heard about players give up and make everything an ace run or high risk shot because they no longer care.

Top Pros and intentionally quitting sounds like a non-sequitor!

Off subject, but now I know why I got the stink eye and twenty questions by the TD when I dropped out after my back went out on me. didn't know there was reverse "bagging" going on as well. I just don't get it? You would think pride, keeping your name and reputation clean would mean more than a number/rating?

Pulled a hamstring once and didnt Dnf even though I knew it would kill my rating. Now I stretch everything before playing.

This guy is 'sponsored' too..very pathetic behavior

I provided a descriptive title so that anyone who was sick of reading about this would not have to read.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968