www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Greetings DGRUS World,

Cassidy aka "Wicked Dyes" started something interesting.  He created "The DGRUS Great Disc Adventure".  With this concept he asks " A club to track the Great Disc Adventure.   If a disc labeled with The DGRUS Great Disc Adventure is found please take a photo and post it on here along with your name/ date/ and location found then leave it for another to find". 

Also he asks

How to prepare a disc for its adventure!

On the underside of the disc put:

The DGRUS Great Disc Adventure

DO NOT RETURN

Take photo of you using the disc

Go to:

http://discgolfer.ning.com/group/the-dgrus-great-disc-adventure

upload photo and leave name, date, and location

Now sign disc and leave for someone else to find and use!

Once you have sent out a disc for the first time please create a discussion with the Disc Name, Color, Stamp (distinguishing marks) as the tittle.

This is a great concept.  A way to track a lost disc.  But I would like to start something similiar yet different.  I am taking Cassidy's idea and taking it a step further.  I am stuck here in Florida.  And realistically, will be for a long time.  I would love to travel and experience many different places and Disc Golf Courses.  But since I can not, there is nothing that says that I can't sent a disc of mine all over the place.  What am I talking about ?

"The Brotherhood of the Traveling Disc"

There are fifty states in the United States.  For those who do not know here is a list...............

Alabama

Alaska

Arizona

Arkansas

California

Colorado

Connecticut

Delaware

Florida

Georgia

Hawaii

Idaho

Illinois

Indiana

Iowa

Kansas

Kentucky

Louisiana

Maine

Maryland

Massachusetts

Michigan

Minnesota

Mississippi

Missouri

Montana

Nebraska

Nevada

New Hampshire

New Jersey

New Mexico

New York

North Carolina

North Dakota

Ohio

Oklahoma

Oregon

Pennsylvania

Rhode Island

South Carolina

South Dakota

Tennessee

Texas

Utah

Vermont

Virginia

Washington

West Virginia

Wisconsin

Wyoming

I will need to find a friend in each state.  This DGRUS Friend has to befriend me, send me their address via private mail (I will not spam it, and I'll only send it to the person needing it) and promise to do the following.......

* Upon receiving the disc, take it to their local Course.

* Take a picture of themself holding the Disc in front of their Course Sign

* Play the course using the Disc when possible

* Upon returning home, go to this discussion, post the picture, and write a little story about it at their course

* Mail the Disc to the Next person on the list.

So far, I would like the following people (Currently on my Friend's list) to participate :

Ed Horst..................... Mr Ed                                                     Florida

Cassidy......................Wicked Dyes                                            Michigan

Mark Ellis....................Mark Ellis                                               Michigan

Shawn West.................Dookville                                                California

Donny Olow..................Donny Olow            Morley Field California. First place I ever played

David Reisner............... Kirk                                                       Hawaii

Steve West..................Steve West                                             Minnesota

Tim...........................Tim York                                                New Mexico

Monte........................ Moe Dee                                                New Jersey

Brett..................... Brett@sickdisc.com                                      Wisconsin

If they all accept, all I'll need is 42 more friends.  If they do not accept, I'll need someone to step up and take over representing that state.

Would you be willing to be part of the "Brotherhood" ?

I can not make this happen unless I have enough friends to cover every state.

Join the "Brotherhood of the Traveling Disc"

Views: 7128

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Everyone that joins the "Brotherhood" is very appreciated by me.

The tribute to my father has reaped great rewards.

It allows the people who follow this post, the opportunity to see

other courses then their own.

It allows people the opportunity to tell their story about them self, their area,

and their life.

It shows that the world is a small place to live.

It shows that life is short, so we need to embrace every precious moment

we experience.  It shows that there are people in this world that cares.

We are no rich, but we do what we can for a brother, a stranger with a

common like or life.

I do plan on making a book about this tribute.  Everytime someone

partakes in the "Brotherhood", their pictures, their stories will live on through

this book.

So thank you to those that partook in this tribute.  Thank you to those that

will partake in the future.

Everyone-

I can't wait for "Dad" to arrive in KY!  I have been looking forward to this opportunity since DD told me no one from KY had signed up.  I will unfortunately be delayed due to work.  I'm currently in Charlottesville, VA will not be back until Friday.  Hopefully "Dad" will have arrived by then and I can start our adventures in Bowling Green, KY this weekend.  THANKS

DD-

Dad arrived to me on 12/11/12 while I was busy working in VA!  As I previously stated, I've been anxiously awaiting the opportunity to help you and Dad complete this great journey.  The weather in KY is always unpredictable, even when it should be considered winter here.  Due to the upcoming holidays and my hectic work schedule I knew that making time for Dad was going to be challenging but well worth the effort.  I did not get a chance to go out with Dad until 12/21/12 (The Winter Equinox and the Day the World was Suppose to End)!  A few of my friends and I went to Hobson Grove Park.  

Hobson Grove Park is the oldest disc golf course in Bowling Green, KY:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=431     

http://www.bgky.org/bgpr/parks/discgolf/

The links about give you some information about the course as well as all of the other courses located in and around Bowling Green.

Here are some photos of our experience with Dad at Hobson Grove.Dad taking a break in the basket on Hole 5.  In the top left-hand corner of the picture you can see the Hobson House.  It is now a museum and the whole disc golf course is built around it.Steve Kirkley sinking his put on Hole 4.Nice drive with Dad above.  Took some time to get use to the Glide.Will Meng working his second shot on Hole 5.  Not his best drive on this hole.
Chuck Adams using Dad on Hole 6 off the tee-box.

Me on Hole 6.  Using a Roc USDGA 180 G.  Put it 3' from the basket!Chuck, Will and Steve posing with Dad at the start of the course.  We took the picture after the round was over.  By then we had nothing but the camera flash for light!

Photo of me with Dad!  Such a great opportunity!  THANKS

My next opportunity to get a round in with Dad luckily happened the following day, 12/22/12.  I had to go this round alone.  Due to the holidays, there was no one who could come with me.  I'm originally from Owensboro, KY so I thought taking Dad to Yellow Creek Park would be great!  Here are some links about Yellow Creek:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=893

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMQY7k9VUOI

This course is great!  I started playing disc golf in 1995 at Western Kentucky University's (now removed) 9 Hole course.  So when they built Yellow Creek in 1999 it was some of the best news Owensboro, KY got for their growing disc golf community!  Bowling Green, KY had always had a very rich history with disc golf.  It was only appropriate that it grew to some of the other medium size cities as well.  

Here are my photos from Yellow Creek: 

Dad taking a break on Hole 18 across the lake.  One of my favorite holes at this coarse.  See above and below.

Here's the somewhat intimidating view (especially if the winds blowing) from the tee box on #18!

Used Dad on this hole.

Not a bad drive off the tee box.  This was accomplished after many practice throws with Dad before the round started. It took me some time to get use to the Glide.  I throw RHBH and Dad really taxed me!

I wish I could spend more time with Dad at a few different courses across KY.  Unfortunately, I'm getting way too busy at work to justify keeping Dad any longer.  He needs to be on his way to his next destination.  I hope you enjoyed Dad's latest leg of the journey.  

Here's some Christmas shots of Dad!

Thanks again for the opportunity,

Jeremy Dant

I sure did enjoy having Dad visit my course. It was a fun round, and Dad both did well, and experienced some of the typical hazards like the creekbed OB.

Some basket credits need to be made: The art basket is a "Funky Junky Disc Golf Basket" by Eau Claire metal sculptor Steve Bateman.   The other notable basket is a "Floyd Eye" basket. You can find him here on DGRUS or Facebook.  

http://discgolfer.ning.com/profile/floydeye?xg_source=profiles_memb...   
http://www.facebook.com/floyd.eye.5

Also, I was glad to see Dad off to play Mt. Simon park in Eau Claire. This is the course where I played that first round of disc golf that changed my life. I was happy that Dad got to play that course also.

I'm wishing Dad a wonderful adventure with fine flying for all fifty states!

Is there anyone from the Brotherhood that I missed ?

I want to make sure that everyone that has joined has or is

able to spend time with Dad.  Even if you are from a State

that has already been represented, and have not spent time with

Dad, I want to make sure that you do.

Also, I call upon the "Brotherhood" to help me out a little more.

There are many States of the US that has not been represented.

Could you all look through your contacts and see if you could

find someone from other states that could join us.

If I can not find anyone else, I have a guy from Germany

that wants to Partake in this quest.  I really appreciate

everyone helping me.  The stories and pictures have been

outstanding.  I am sure that my Father is greatfull for everyone's

endevours, hard work, and kinship.

DD-

What states are left to cover?  Send out a list and that may help your situation.  By the way, I sent "Dad" out to Michael in Lexington, KY on Wednesday 2/23.  Should be to him by now.  Have you heard anything from him?

-Jeremy

If I am not mistaken here is the list of States not covered....

Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas
Colorado, Connecticut
Delaware
Kansas
Maine, Maryland
Massachusetts, Minnesota,
Missouri, Montana
Nebraska, New Hampshire
New Jersey, New Mexico
New York
Oklahoma
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina, South Dakota
Vermont, Virginia
West Virginia
Wisconsin

And to answer your question. No, I have not gotten a reply

as of yet.  Snail mail tends to be slow. It is trustworthy, but slow. 

DD...I know WI and MN can be scratched off your list ;-)  I will try to network also.

Really looking forward to being  a part of this and helping you scratch New York off the list. I have a couple of people in Pennsylvania I can contact, too.

P.J.-

Sending out "Dad" today via snail mail because of the P.O. Box address.  I will be in Queens, NY most likely the week of April 15th or April 22nd for work.  I do not know  how far away you are from there, but it would be cool to try and meet....if possible.  Thanks for taking my initial email about this endeavor.  It will be awesome for you to spotlight this cool idea in your blog.

-Jeremy Dant

Jeremy -- 

Sounds awesome. Not sure where you're mailing from, but hopefully it gets here before Thursday as I'm going to play that day. Also -- I'm a good 3.5/4 from Queens, pending on the day. I'm upstate, well, center state. If you are going to be upstate more, let me know. 

I'm looking forward to this disc and doing a story. Way too cool. Thanks for letting me know about it. 

I took it to the course I call my "home" course in New York and snapped some photos. I also want to just snap a few "artsy" photos of it soon. Ya know, to see some sights as well as courses. Might as well get to see a few more things, no? 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968