www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Greetings DGRUS World,

Cassidy aka "Wicked Dyes" started something interesting.  He created "The DGRUS Great Disc Adventure".  With this concept he asks " A club to track the Great Disc Adventure.   If a disc labeled with The DGRUS Great Disc Adventure is found please take a photo and post it on here along with your name/ date/ and location found then leave it for another to find". 

Also he asks

How to prepare a disc for its adventure!

On the underside of the disc put:

The DGRUS Great Disc Adventure

DO NOT RETURN

Take photo of you using the disc

Go to:

http://discgolfer.ning.com/group/the-dgrus-great-disc-adventure

upload photo and leave name, date, and location

Now sign disc and leave for someone else to find and use!

Once you have sent out a disc for the first time please create a discussion with the Disc Name, Color, Stamp (distinguishing marks) as the tittle.

This is a great concept.  A way to track a lost disc.  But I would like to start something similiar yet different.  I am taking Cassidy's idea and taking it a step further.  I am stuck here in Florida.  And realistically, will be for a long time.  I would love to travel and experience many different places and Disc Golf Courses.  But since I can not, there is nothing that says that I can't sent a disc of mine all over the place.  What am I talking about ?

"The Brotherhood of the Traveling Disc"

There are fifty states in the United States.  For those who do not know here is a list...............

Alabama

Alaska

Arizona

Arkansas

California

Colorado

Connecticut

Delaware

Florida

Georgia

Hawaii

Idaho

Illinois

Indiana

Iowa

Kansas

Kentucky

Louisiana

Maine

Maryland

Massachusetts

Michigan

Minnesota

Mississippi

Missouri

Montana

Nebraska

Nevada

New Hampshire

New Jersey

New Mexico

New York

North Carolina

North Dakota

Ohio

Oklahoma

Oregon

Pennsylvania

Rhode Island

South Carolina

South Dakota

Tennessee

Texas

Utah

Vermont

Virginia

Washington

West Virginia

Wisconsin

Wyoming

I will need to find a friend in each state.  This DGRUS Friend has to befriend me, send me their address via private mail (I will not spam it, and I'll only send it to the person needing it) and promise to do the following.......

* Upon receiving the disc, take it to their local Course.

* Take a picture of themself holding the Disc in front of their Course Sign

* Play the course using the Disc when possible

* Upon returning home, go to this discussion, post the picture, and write a little story about it at their course

* Mail the Disc to the Next person on the list.

So far, I would like the following people (Currently on my Friend's list) to participate :

Ed Horst..................... Mr Ed                                                     Florida

Cassidy......................Wicked Dyes                                            Michigan

Mark Ellis....................Mark Ellis                                               Michigan

Shawn West.................Dookville                                                California

Donny Olow..................Donny Olow            Morley Field California. First place I ever played

David Reisner............... Kirk                                                       Hawaii

Steve West..................Steve West                                             Minnesota

Tim...........................Tim York                                                New Mexico

Monte........................ Moe Dee                                                New Jersey

Brett..................... Brett@sickdisc.com                                      Wisconsin

If they all accept, all I'll need is 42 more friends.  If they do not accept, I'll need someone to step up and take over representing that state.

Would you be willing to be part of the "Brotherhood" ?

I can not make this happen unless I have enough friends to cover every state.

Join the "Brotherhood of the Traveling Disc"

Views: 7153

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Tick enjoyed showing Dad the cool baskets he's obtained over the years.

Attachments:

Hole 8 winds down through a wooded creek bottom, complete with an OB creek winding through the middle of the hole. Here's Dad and I eyeing up the lines,me trying to anny Dad to the landing area, and Tick assisting me retrieve Dad from  the OB creek that a misjudged downrange breeze flexed Dad into.

Dad did sneak down through a local route that he uncovered, although he had me wondering what the heck he was up to, and we salvaged a drop in 4.

Attachments:

Wow, first perfect pictures in the snow.

Now no snow.

What a change in climates in such short time.

Well DD, the short time was actualy a 4 hour drive south, and it took 3 hours to get out of the snow. However, I am happy to report that when Dad and I pulled into the driveway yesterday, the snow is gone here too!

I want you to meet my son in law Jesse. He is the person that introduced me to my newest passion...the wonderful sport of disc golf. He will be the first person to say "I was trying for years" whenever I whine  "yeah,I wish I would have tried this out years ago".

So Jesse is more or less the person responsible for Dad visiting me. We got out Monday morning for a    couple quick rounds, so that Dad could meet Jesse before we journeyed north towards home.

We played Mt Simon Park, a 9 hole course in Eau Claire WI. Pics are Jesse and Dad on 1st tee and3rd tee. 3rd pic is Jesse throwing Dad on 3 tee. Jesse has a big arm, ropes  line drive Valks, and as you can see, does not have any understable mids in his bag.

Attachments:

Sunday morning my sons Jason, Colin, and I took Dad on his first visit to Minnesota. It also just happened to be everyone's first visit to Blue Ribbon Pines Disc Golf, or BRP, in East Bethel MN.

Blue Ribbon Pines is one of the top 5 rated disc golf courses in the country. Dad has visited 3 of the top 6 this week!

Here's the boys in the parking lot, and Dad checking out the 1st green. When we saw the green, we knew we were in for a treat, we'd never played   a real green like this.

Attachments:

Dad got into the game early, hole 2 is a 275 ft sweeping anny. Dad held a perfect turn for me, setting up a nice 25 foot deuce that was too early in the round for me to convert. Good 3 Dad

BRP has chainsaw art everywhere, just one of the many little things that made today a world class experience for us.

Attachments:

The 4th hole is the signature hole of Blue Ribbon Pines. Just like Highbridge Hills, they had many to pick from!

4 is a 444 ft tunnel shot between rows of 100 ft tall pine trees.

Here's Jason and Wee on 4 tee, arguing over who throws Dad here. Also more chainsaw art.

Attachments:

16 was a pretty sweet anny hole, with a very cool hanging basket. Dad laughed at the 1st tree and turned gently towards the green, gracefully skidding in for a juicy 25 ft  deuce. Can't really splain how I missed converting this one, but good 3.

1st pic is Dad and my boys checking out 16 tee sign

Attachments:

We came across this tribute bench, and I could tell that Dad felt a special bond.

BRP has a snack bar at the turn, but it looks like Dad and boys are not getting served today

Attachments:

BRP is built on a sod farm, and the owners are landscapers. The landscaping done to the tee boxes and greens is, well, simply amazing!   Check out the boys checking things out.

Attachments:

Mid  afternoon, we learn that the Packers beat the Vikings. Dad reminded us to keep it down, because we were in MN!

So as if this day was not already almost too cool, I launch my new Cryztal Flx Magnet on a 100ft spiky hyzer with visions of filling up the "island hole" basket. It flexed alright, and almost filled er up, but my first wedgie was priceless!

Last pic is Dad once again heading towards birdie range. Hole 25, this time I sent Dad on a higher line, hoping for maybe a touch of flex to finish. Which Dad delivered, to about 18 ft. Crazy little wrong side of the wind tunnel straight upwind putt was not to be, but it was crazy!

What a wonderful this dad had with Dad and my boys.

All I can say about Blue Ribbon Pines is....wow, world class, a must play. This from a guy that calls Highbridge Hills home.

Attachments:

Dad and I said our farewells this morning, as he was leaving the UP and heading on down to Kentucky.

As I reflect on my time spent with Dad, a couple of things come to mind that I would like to share with you.

First, I think it would be cool to meet and play with as many other members of "The Brotherhood" as I possibly can. So I am going to work on that.

Next, I am going to share a personal thought, which I shared with Daddy Dragon. It was his wish that I share this with you, so ...

One of the benefits of my time with Dad, and involving and discussing Dad's visit with my family, occurred to me the other day.

You see, as I age, it is obvious to me, via words and actions, that my adult children are sometimes letting themselves think about the day when I join Vic Sr.

I believe that the memories and documentation  of our time with Dad, and our participation in this wonderful memorial tribute, will hopefully bring my family some comfort during their time of saddness.

I can't wait to meet some of  you, and I can't wait to follow along as Daddy Dragon completes "Dads" journey. Thank you so much for the honor of allowing us to partcipate.

Tom

UP Mountain Man

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

2014 ACE RACE PLAYER PACKS ?

Posted by James Banevicz on November 23, 2014 at 4:41pm

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968