www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

This year's USDGC enlightened me to something new...."The Buncr Rule".

I Don't know if others were already using it before. Definitely took the infamous 17 and toned it down just a touch.

Earlier in the broadcast, I was watching a dude come up short....shot after shot...like 4 times...thinking....."holy $#!t" ...."that's a double handful at best"....it wasn't till the second day I heard them mention the new rule.

I liked the new rule....adds difficulty without being completely devastating!!!

This could technically be factored into a course design....any course design.

If done tastefully, with a nice looking professionally done rock wall for maximum lifespan...It could add something cool to one of those boring transitional type holes that appear in most course designs. Could also be done with a rustic cattle fence type construction....old railroad ties....landscape timbers...or on the cheap with fallen tree trunks and logs.

Any thoughts on that?

How would you feel about something like that on your home course?

How would you play it in casual rounds?...i.e. by the course rule if were to be or would you shrug it off and play your lie where it landed?

Tags: bunker, casual, disc, golf, rule

Views: 78

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

For the people that wern't lucky enough to watch. Please explain what you are talking about.
I had the spelling wrong...lol!!!
I like this rule. This could easily be added onto about five holes where I play adding more toughness to the course.

The "Buncr" rule is a type of out of bounds. Instead of being assessed a stroke plus the re throw. You use re throw the disc. There is no penlty stroke.

Rules here
http://www.usdgc.com/files09/2009USDGCRulesQA.pdf

Also here
http://www.usdgc.com/caddybook09/index.htm
on the caddy book it is at the end.
So what is the new rule?
It plays like an OB hazard except without the penalty stroke added...they call them "Buncr Hazards" they were in a few in various places on the course...totally new this year.

So on Hole 17 in past years, if you came up short of the hay bales....you were OB and you had to re-tee with a penalty stroke....standard rule option. With the buncr rule....Pronounced "bunker" ....you were still OB and had to re-tee.....just without the penalty stroke added....the penalty is just the extra throw.

here's the link to the USDGC website
Yeah....that Q & A !!!!
When you open one of these links....i.e the one titled caddybook....hold your cursor over the bottom right corner of the book and click
You'll notice in those rules you could retrieve your discs after 5 throws...or borrow one from another competitor....with stipulations of course....lmao yeah that would still suck...lmao!!!
Our course design group cooked up the buncr rule several years ago. It was first used in a major at Pro Worlds in 2007 at Highbridge and later that year and the next at the Player's Cup. The USDGC used it last year on the same holes as this year.

There are three ways to do buncrs and Harold chose the most extreme, of course, for the USDGC, which has not been popular with some pros. The mild version used at Worlds was a kidney bean shaped sand trap near the pin that's between 15 to 35 feet from the pin on the right side. If you land in it, you take line of play relief back to the edge of the buncr with no penalty other than a longer putt. It works like a ball golf green that has a slope on one side of the pin where a ball wouldn't stop. The reason for the bunCR spelling is that it's just like a Casual Relief area in the rules.

The second buncr is when there's not much foliage on the course and you want to design a par 4 with some challenge. You place a buncr maybe 60 feet in diameter off to the left side of the fairway maybe 300-360 from the tee. There's a big tree maybe 20 feet behind the buncr and you place a drop zone maybe 20 feet behind the tree. If a player lands in the buncr, they go to the drop zone with no penalty. They have a little tougher and longer upshot as their "penalty."

The USDGC buncr is the extreme version where you have to rethrow if you land in the buncr. There's no added penalty. However, the throw you made still counts on your score so it's like a one throw penalty. You have to keep throwing until you land inbounds. The good thing about the USDGC buncr rule is it is biased toward skill versus the original "throw it far down the fairway and maybe get an OB penalty" like it used to be on 888. There's no skill in doing that. However, with the USDGC buncr rule, you eventually have to execute every throw or you don't advance.

The irony is that several top players don't think players are penalized enough with the buncr rule. However, as mentioned before, those with less skill could just crush their shots down the fairway with no skill and if they were inbounds great. If not, then big deal with the one shot penalty. They were way down the fairway. Now, the big crushers with maybe less finesse than guys like Barry and Ken, HAVE to execute and land inbounds or they don't advance. That is much more of a penalty for less skill than with OB. The disadvantage of the extreme USDGC version of the buncr rule is it slows down play. So there's a tradeoff between slower play with more skill required versus faster play with less skill required.
Thanks Chuck !!! watched and heard you when you were on.....I think the last day.

I don't think they used it at last years PC?? I never found a BunCR....lmao !!! All my OB's came with the strokes
Now that I think about it....I wasn't there, but I believe Hole 18 at Red Hawk was a buncr hole in 2007...not in 08 though. I'm pretty sure no buncr's were used in 08 at Red hawk...I was fortunate enough to never go ob on 18....but I do remember a few that did and pretty sure those shots came with penalty strokes.
It sure seems ironic that the USDGC adopted a gentler rule for its island hole. The miles of yellow OB rope are not gentle. The competition is not gentle. Even getting into the event is not gentle.

Sure hole #17 (island hole) can ruin a good round. So can 888. So can pretty much any hole on the course. During the early years of the tournament when I played in the USDGC there was no mercy on the island hole and it was longer, had water all along the left edge and was in a more open spot so more exposed to the wind.

No mercy, no drop zones. Keep throwing until you put it in the island. Every missed drive cost you 2 strokes ( the throw and the penalty). That was how the island hole started.

If you are going to create a course and a tournament for the best players in the world then there is no need to be gentle.

I was always more afraid of #18 than #17. If you want scary, try playing #18 as a lefty. The landing area on my drive (obviously some lefties can throw it 100 feet farther than I could but that was no help to me) sloped down toward the water and if I didn't land my drive flat (not just the right spot but also FLAT) it stood up and rolled OB. The second shot was blind, over a rise and a pure righty hyzer line with OB on every side.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968